Talk

Advanced search

what should they be able to do by the time for school?

(13 Posts)
iwearflairs Sun 24-Aug-08 01:48:14

Just wanting a reality check on what kids need to be able to do at big school in terms of self-help skills?

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 01:53:34

Alphabet
count to ten
be able to use the toliet
colours
be able to eat without making a mess
be able to sit for 10 minutes without needing attention
to be able to dress/undress themself is nice
to be able to do as they are told.

nappyaddict Sun 24-Aug-08 02:41:49

really alphabet, colours and counting to ten? i thought they taught all that in school.

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 02:48:17

I don't think so. I used ot be a parent gov. The school I was at moaned about children who were in reception who started unable to do these.

twentypence Sun 24-Aug-08 03:26:23

Use the toilet and undo their own lunchbox and eat the food in it without assitance.

The others are nice to have and appreciated by teachers but there are plenty of children who can't manage them.

Also the teachers will understand that there will be massive differences within the same child. Ds has a reading age of 8 and is in a new entrant class, but if one of his shoe laces comes undone he's stuffed!

reginaphilangy Sun 24-Aug-08 03:46:47

Use the toilet

Dress/undress themselves

Eat sensibly

Take turns

Remain quiet when someone else is speaking

Listen to peers/teachers

I think if your child can do these things, the teacher will be very happy and everything else will be a breeze smile

AMumInScotland Sun 24-Aug-08 08:14:45

Put coat and outdoor shoes on/off without assistance
Go to the loo, and be confident enough to ask to go
Wipe/blow their nose
Open lunchbox and cope with the contents or be able to carry a tray to the table and eat without making much mess
Listen when being given instructions
Attempt to carry out instructions without instantly needing help
Ask when they do need help

Gobbledigook Sun 24-Aug-08 08:19:35

Hmmm, there is no way ds3 will be able to do his shirt buttons - he's not even 4 yet and he starts school in about 10 days!

mankyscotslass Sun 24-Aug-08 08:27:06

Get changed from PE on their own.

Get their own coats on and off.

Recognise their own name.

Be able to deal with their lunchboxes as independently as possible.

Listen to instructions.

Sit still for 5-10 minutes.

Take turns.

Use the toilet independently.

I found that on PE days I never buttoned DS's polo shirts to amke it easy for him. Similarly this time round with DD I will make sure she is not wearing a pinafore on PE days! And no tights either on those days!

AMumInScotland Sun 24-Aug-08 08:29:55

It does make things easier if they can change for PE, but shirt buttons are often a problem and teachers are used to helping with them. When DS was small they just came home in their PE things, so there was only one lot of changing instead of 2.

The other thing I'd add is that it helps if they can recognise their name on their labels, so they end up back in the right clothes.

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 08:34:37

I agree with what has already been said. They don't need to know colours, counting etc but they do need the practical things.
Being able to ask to go to the toilet and manage independently is the most important.
I think that uniform should be very simple, but if they have long sleeved shirts and blouses they should be able to manage most of the buttons-problems with top buttons and cuffs are understandable.
They should be able to get changed for PE-and know where their clothes are when they come to get changed back! They should be able to recognise their own name so that they know they have their own trousers!
They need to be able to hang coats on a hook.
Listening to other children is important as well as adults and instructions.
Being able to share and understand that they have to take turns makes life much easier!

SquiffyHock Sun 24-Aug-08 08:37:53

I used to teach and would agree with all the practical things that allow them to be a bit independent. DS was 4 in July and really doesn't have a clue with letter sounds or writing his name but I haven't pushed him at all - he'll learn when he's ready.

He's been able to dress himself since he was 3 but cannot manage the buttons on his school shirt. I spoke to the teacher and she said that her boys just going up to year 1 could just about manage it. (How I wish they had polo shirts!!)

Try not to worry - you will be amazed how quickly they will learn in reception!

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 08:44:24

A lot of children in year 2 can't do the top button, for some reason they are always stiff.
Don't send boys in shoes with laces.(unless they can tie them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now