Talk

Advanced search

Help my 3 year old has a strange head rolling habbit.

(17 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 20:42:37

My 3 year old daughter has developed this strange habbet of rolling her head backwards in a semi circle. She does it about 15-20 times a day.
I thought it was for attention at first, but then I noticed her doing it when she was on her own in her room. I asked her if her neck hurts and sometimes she says yes and sometimes no.
Should I take her to the doctors? she is fine in every other way.

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 20:53:19

Anyone? blush

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 21:17:21

Hello, is anybody out there ??? sad

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 21:29:18

Hmmm dunno tbh, I think if you are worried and aren't sure all is OK then go to the docs (rather feel a fool than get the guilt later when you realise something was wrong I guess).

My DD is 4.3 and enjoys making herself dizzy. She'll do all sorts just to get that dizzy feeling for a while - do you think she could be doing that too? I know it is a phase many go through (don't get it myself grin). She will also give the yes / no response when I ask if someting hurts - I think if it doesn't hurt she sometimes just says yes anyway to see what I do about it (much attention seeking going on here atm!)

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 21:36:27

Thanks, I think I'll get it checked. 3 year olds can be a bit strange. grin

TheHedgeWitch Sat 23-Aug-08 21:37:07

Message withdrawn

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 21:40:57

Yes, it could be. hmm I don't know what started this. She can't be distracted at all while shes doing it either. My HV is pretty useless, so I think I'll see the doc.smile

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 21:46:38

Maybe ask her what she sees when she is doing it? My DD1 does her spinning thing to watch the planet spin and see the stars hmm. If you can;t get through to her while she is doing it maybe she is concentrating on the effect it has.

I think any extra info you can think of like this will help your Doc make a diagnosis.

bookswapper Sat 23-Aug-08 21:48:50

mine exhibited some weird eye rolling behaviour - I found out he was copying his wee friend

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 21:53:40

I've asked her about it before and she says "I don't know mummy!"

S1ur Sat 23-Aug-08 21:53:56

Hmmm, I would be inclined to ask her about it and then also get a few things checked out at gps just to be sure,

A couple of things to rule out spring to mind
Earache (unlikely without other symptoms but..)
Squint/lazy eye/trouble focusing - I think some children put their heads to the side to favour stronger eye.
And someone on a related thread mentioned mild torticollis or 'wry neck' as holding the neck to one side could be an indicator.

Course it is much much more likely she's just trying out something new, and is just a bit quirky grin

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 22:01:03

I've had wry neck and that means you hold your neck to one side all the time.

Worth just checking her pillow / sleeping arrangments too just to make sure she isn;t sleeping awkwardly.

Does she go to nursery? I'd ask there too - maybe it is a new trend like bookswapper mentioned. It would also be interesting to know if she did it while she was there too (I'm thinking that some behavioural things are just for home)

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 22:02:21

I've thought about ear ache too. She rolls her head around, in a backwards semi circle then stops.
It dosn't seem to amuse her or anything. She remains serious the whole time then goes back to normal. I think her sight is fine as she can pick up a tiny crumb on the table.

mummyloveslucy Sat 23-Aug-08 22:04:44

Big bad mouse- she's on holiday from nursery, but she does it at MIL's house and in town etc. Even if she's engrosed in somthing she'll still do it.
My mother in law noticed it before I mentioned it to her.

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 22:18:07

Well if I were you, from what you've written I'd get it checked out with the GP (just to be on the safe side). Make sure you let us know how you get on. Is your GP good?

mummyloveslucy Sun 24-Aug-08 07:37:11

I will. smile

LIZS Sun 24-Aug-08 09:48:50

Could be a sensory thing as BBM suggested. If you do go to gp include it among your concerns regarding her clumsiness, toileting etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now