Talk

Advanced search

When did your dc start to enjoy brushing teeth?

(14 Posts)
mamachat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:35:26

DD is 13months old and I cannot get her to brush her teeth, I have tried a few flavolrs of tooth paste.

I sit on the floor so we can do it together. I have tried to do it for her or let her do it with my help, nothing works...

I really do not want her teeth to be yellow or damaged - help...

Ready4anotherCoffee Thu 21-Aug-08 23:46:25

ds (4) can do a crediable attempt.
dd1 (2) enjoys the toothpaste.

I usually wrap them ina towel, and get them in a headlock still so I know it's done properley wink

girlandboy Thu 21-Aug-08 23:48:24

Never - they still run their toothbrushes under the tap to try and trick me that they have actually done it. This doesn't work, because I spy on them through the crack in the door. grin

Ds will only do it if threatened, and he's 8

Mammina Thu 21-Aug-08 23:54:04

Had a breakthrough about a month ago. DD is 18 months and up until then it was a real effort to brush her teeth, lots of screaming & tantrums. I think it may have been a bit painful because of teething. All of a sudden she's fantastic, doesn't mind having them done at all - doesn't quite last as long as I'd like but we're getting there.

Have you tried letting her brush your teeth at the same time - you will end up gagging though as the toothbrush is shoved right down your gob

meandmyjoe Fri 22-Aug-08 07:42:21

My ds has always loved his teeth being brushed hmm. My friend's ds is a few months older and screams, she has to wrestle with him and just put him in a headlock and do it as quick as possible. Will she let you do them with a cloth just to get her used to you touching them? They should invent something for babies to eat that clens their teeth at the same time (like a pedigree dentastick for dogs!).

meandmyjoe Fri 22-Aug-08 07:42:23

My ds has always loved his teeth being brushed hmm. My friend's ds is a few months older and screams, she has to wrestle with him and just put him in a headlock and do it as quick as possible. Will she let you do them with a cloth just to get her used to you touching them? They should invent something for babies to eat that clens their teeth at the same time (like a pedigree dentastick for dogs!).

Piffle Fri 22-Aug-08 07:47:42

put it out of reach and say no when they point to it
Reverse psychology
Mine all queue up for theirs
For older kids a few trips to the dentist cures toothbrushing tardiness

LeonieD Fri 22-Aug-08 09:14:27

Message withdrawn

TrinityRhino Fri 22-Aug-08 09:18:06

dd1 (8) willingly does it morning and night

dd2 (3) used to just eat the toothpaste up until a couple of months ago, so I did it for her and she let me.
But now she is really trying to do it properly and wants to do it about 8 times a day hmm

gecko is 19 months and likes the toothpaste hmm

babyinbelly Fri 22-Aug-08 09:31:11

ds has always liked to do his teeth. Not sure if they get done properly as he does them himself and always has done. He is 2y. But it saved tantrums and he does let me finish off as long as he can do my. We always do our teeth together so I think he just liked to copy.

Shoegazer Fri 22-Aug-08 09:46:31

DD 2.2 has always liked having her teeth done except when has bad teething pain. I let her have a go first and I have always sung the cbeebies brushing teeth song to her whilst she does it. I have also had pingu come and brush her teeth for her to make sure it is all done properly. She tells me when she needs to brush them!

katiechops Fri 22-Aug-08 09:57:32

DD (22 months)has recently got into the cbeebies tooth brush song. Now when I tell her it's time to brush her teeth she says "just like Lola!".

Usually I let her have a go first, then I finish them off.

UniS Fri 22-Aug-08 13:13:35

when i started "finding" trains, tractors or dinosaurs in his mouth that needed to be brushed clean. Now he says who/what is in his mouth and i give them a scrub/ chase them out.

age wise- he was 18-24 m. before that we had a while of head lock and screaming child while I brushed.

mamachat Fri 22-Aug-08 22:29:13

I think I wioll have to dothe head lock thing as she is not letting me near her, she has just started trying to use my tooth brush instead which is not a good idea...

What time is the cbeebies toothbrush song on??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now