Talk

Advanced search

Should I get some books on 'how babies are made' for DS, 21 months? New baby due next month.

(11 Posts)
meglet Thu 21-Aug-08 19:59:58

would it be a good time to get one of those toddler friendly 'how babies are made books' (mummy laid an egg, where willy went) for DS,21 months, as his baby sister is due next month.

My parents were very honest about where babies come from at an early age and I'm not sure when to start with him. I know we have to talk to him about it too, but the books do look like fun and a way of making it more matter of fact.

morocco Thu 21-Aug-08 20:01:57

how about books dealing with the emotional side of things? he's a bit young yet to grasp it at all but there are some nice books out there about coping with life as the older brother/sister. I like 'where did that baby come from' with little baby tigers in it, it's reduced on the book people atm

2point4kids Thu 21-Aug-08 20:05:50

My DS was a little bit older than yours when his baby brother was born and he wouldnt have understood anything like that in a book.
What did really help was to buy him a baby doll and keep talking about 'his' baby and how it is just like 'our' baby that is in Mummy's tummy.
I wouldnt worry just yet on explaining how it got in or how it will get out, just really what it is and that it will soon be joining you!

LittleMyDancingForJoy Thu 21-Aug-08 20:06:18

I would`say he's too little for the mechanics of it, but one of the books about being an older brother would be good.

We had 'there's a house inside my mummy' and 'Mr Bear's new baby', whcih were both pretty good.

meglet Thu 21-Aug-08 20:06:43

good idea, I was meaning to do that but had forgotten. Fab excuse for a book shop visit tomorrow I think!

SquiffyHock Thu 21-Aug-08 20:06:55

Usbourne's 'The New Baby' is lovely and really prepares them, as morocco says, for the impact a baby will have. DS was just over 2 when dd arrived and wasn't too bothered about the other stuff - he has sincce asked me how babies get out but never how they get in grin

meglet Thu 21-Aug-08 20:07:39

........and I will get a baby doll for him too.

SlowDown Fri 22-Aug-08 22:08:08

my ds at 2.5 when dd was born got obsessed with za-za's baby brother. It's a Maisy style book.

ronshar Fri 22-Aug-08 22:13:26

Crikey my DD2 is going to be just 4 when her little bro/sister arrives in 7weeks. What shall I say to her. So far she hasnt made any enquiries as to the mechanics just pleased to get a new baby.
Should I be doing the book thing or wait and see if she asked.

This is my third child you really would think I would know this by now would'nt youblush.

Sorry to steal your thread Meglet. But I had not given it a thought until I saw yours. So thank you very much for reminding me of what I should have done ages ago.smile

pointydog Fri 22-Aug-08 22:21:48

god no, I wouldn't. I'd just answer any questions he has in a very simplistic, not-properly-explaining way

usuallytooshytochat Fri 22-Aug-08 22:29:03

that usbourne book comes as a sticker book too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now