Talk

Advanced search

Screaming toddler at bath time

(11 Posts)
Cazzabear Thu 21-Aug-08 19:50:32

HI,

Has anyone else's toddler (22 months) suddenly gone off bathtime and started screaming as soon as he sees the water?

If so - did you ever find out why and also - how did you overcome it??

All advice gratefully received as it;s so upsetting to see DS so scared and traumatised!

Marne Thu 21-Aug-08 20:01:11

Dd1 hated baths at this age, we overcome it by filling the bath with playballs from her ball pit, she thought it was great fun and forgot about the water.

sueellenewing Thu 21-Aug-08 20:12:53

my dd absolutely loved the bath and then one day, when she was about 15 months she took an absolute dislike to it and was screaming and hysterical whenever we tried to put her in. It lasted about a month and I reduced the frequency of her baths accordingly to about 3 times a week. just got her in and out asap. Then one day she was standing up and a bit whingey but not as much as usual and little by little I got her to sit down by enticing her with bath toys. From then she was back to loving it and is bathed every night just like the good old days! I do think it is quite common and, though distressing at the time, just another of their bizarre and unfathomable developmental stages. good luck!

kitbit Thu 21-Aug-08 20:18:56

Yep, I think nearly every toddler I-ve ever known has gone off baths at some point!!! Stand up washes, lots of bath toys, letting them play but not wash etc and it will pass eventually. Don't sweat it though, a few stand up washes doesthe job just as well without the trauma. ds eventually got back into baths again when I got dh to wash him in the sink while I was having a bath. I was playing with his toys and loads of bubbles and didn't try and persuade him, just had lots of fun. On the 3rd day he sidled over to watch and on the 5th day (I was so CLEEEAAAN!!!) he asked if he could play. A week later and he was back to bathing happily.

Just one idea, but worked for us! Don't worry though and don't force the issue it will pass.

JentlyDoesIt Thu 21-Aug-08 20:25:28

DS went off baths when he was about 15 months old. My mum bought him a bubble machine and a mat thing which distracted him enough. DP then held onto him to show him he was safe for a few more nights. He's now back to loving them!

wasabipeanut Thu 21-Aug-08 20:39:12

My 11mo has just been through a funny bath phase - loved them up until a few days ago then started crying as soon as I started the taps going. 3 nights of baths with me or dh in with him holding onto him and lowering him in very, very slowly seems to have resolved it.

For now.

ZipadiSuzy Fri 22-Aug-08 17:38:35

I agree with kitbit, ignorance and stand up washes, not making an issue, it does pass, although my ds was 1 year without a bath, even having twin who did like bathing, ds still not keen on it though, but at least can get him in, he was also nearly 2 he is now 4!! hmm grin

squeaver Fri 22-Aug-08 17:40:03

Why not try bathing him a bit earlier - he might just be tired?

Sophiale01 Fri 22-Aug-08 20:37:17

currently going through this too with 23 month old. I don't mind as cant be arsed to bath DD every night but I do have to wash the tons of hair she has occasionally. trick has been to get in bath myself without telling her, ask DH to bring her up and then tell she's NOT allowed to have a bath. She then starts taking her clothes off desperate to get in. grin works for me, try it!

Olipop Fri 22-Aug-08 20:42:52

I've found those bath crayons great. We run the bath and then DH and I take it in turns to draw a picture on the side...such as rockets, boats, animals...whatever we can think of. Then we shout in a very excited voice 'come and see what mummy/daddy has drawn'. DS hurtles into the bathroom ready to add his own little bits to the masterpiece!!! It's been working for about 3 months and he's still not bored (we however are running out of ideas for pictures! My Gruffalo had DH in hysterics!)

Cazzabear Tue 26-Aug-08 21:18:06

Thanks for all the advice - sorry i couldn't reply - but have been off line.

I tried getting in the bath & saying that he couldn't & you're so right - he tried to climb in!!! Seems OK now - but think it may be due to over tiredness too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now