Talk

Advanced search

Golf for a 5 & 7 year old - blardy brilliant!

(13 Posts)
Doodle2U Tue 19-Aug-08 16:13:11

I play golf - so shoot me!

Anyway, took the two kids, DS7 & DD5 to the driving range, hired the right sized club for them both (50p each) and showed them the basics - 50 balls each.

Loved it!

Beats the crappola out of indoor play areas and the like, when you need summat to do and it's raining. (Range is covered).

Give it a whirl - especially if your kids are NOT particularly sporty, neither of mine are). Bet they'll enjoy this - slower pace and less to do with sport, more to do with fun!

smile

bogie Tue 19-Aug-08 17:03:31

I second that! Dp takes our 2.7 year old ds to the driving range and putting greens with his tiny clubs and he loves it

Doodle2U Tue 19-Aug-08 23:27:06

I think it might be just me and you on MN with any kind of interest in golf, Bogie! We should ask for our own section in the Topic list grin

schneebly Tue 19-Aug-08 23:30:33

I don't play but DH works in Golf (and plays)and we live on a Golf Course (tied house) so surrounded by it all day every day! DS1 (5) loves to whack a ball and we often do crazy golf in the park - might get DH to take him to the driving range!

Doodle2U Tue 19-Aug-08 23:33:26

schneebly, you STOLE my fantasy life!

schneebly Tue 19-Aug-08 23:49:38

lol it is quite fab - a little too handy for DH's work though as he is a bit of a perfectionist!

If you look on my profile I have put a pic of where we stay - the house is visible in the bottom half (white building) the top one is the clubhouse which is much nicer! grin

We do get a lot of golf ball in the garden and on the garage roof!

stealthsquiggle Tue 19-Aug-08 23:59:32

Absolutely agree - DS (5.9) has been going to lessons for a year now and he loves it.

friendly Wed 20-Aug-08 00:11:56

I think my kids would love it. Do you have to go to a proper golf club to find a driving range? Can't quite imagine turning up with my bunch at some smart golf club!

schneebly Wed 20-Aug-08 00:14:14

no friendly there are lots of driving ranges which are completely separate - try googling for them in your area smile

Soapbox Wed 20-Aug-08 00:14:50

My DCs also love going to the driving range - have been going on and off for a few years now. There is something very satisfying about whacking golf balls into the air, especially when you hit that one that sails off into the distancegrin

stealthsquiggle Wed 20-Aug-08 00:15:51

Find a friendly one - the one DS goes to charge £5 for an hour's (group) lesson and the pro is brilliant with them. You do need to be a bit careful - driving ranges are not places for DC to riot (due to danger of being clonked hard with a golf club, not of being 'tsked' at!)

Califrau Wed 20-Aug-08 00:46:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeeBee Wed 20-Aug-08 12:33:17

My kids LOVE the driving range, but my DS2 (3) wails when he has finished all his balls! He has this amazingly strong swing and gets loads of attention for it too. Gets given loads of freebies from people thinking he is cute and the next Tiger Woods. I have also bought them pone of those golf balls on a string because our hedges and our neighbours gardens are now full of golfs balls.

At the driving range ours take it in turns, having a couple of shots each. That way, the riot level is kept to a minimum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now