Talk

Advanced search

can someone tell me why my normally placid ds (5) has turned into a tantruming monster?

(7 Posts)
colnelcustard Tue 19-Aug-08 14:58:50

He has done nothing but winge and cry for the last week. I turned off a DVD earlier and he had a screaming fit that lasted twenty minutes.

I have tried to keep them all busy throughout the holidays but do not have much money so most of it has been playing in the garden, having friends over, visiting people etc.

For the last week though he has been vile. He cries at the drop of a hat and these tantrums are beginning to wind me up. I've got two others to deal with (3 and 1) so thought I was at least out of the tantruming stage with one of them.

Any advice?

escape Tue 19-Aug-08 21:50:34

bump

blueshoes Tue 19-Aug-08 22:15:16

My dd 5 has also had her moments this hols. I have had to have sharp words.

Could your ds be tired? Change of routine? Bored?

Heated Tue 19-Aug-08 22:18:23

I have been on other posts recently, and it's been suggested by a few wise MNers that boys have a testosterone surge at about this time. Have to say this is true of ds who goes from instant rage to tears in about 3 seconds. Think there is something hormone idea as noticed he's got some downy hair on his legs and arms tooshock

colnelcustard Wed 20-Aug-08 07:27:22

well last night I had enough. He had a tantrum about 5pm that involved hitting me and punching me as he refused to eat his dinner (his fishfingers looked too much like chicken nuggets apparent). I picked him up and put him in his bedroom and told him to get undressed for bed and think about the way that he had been behaving all day. I then went out to work, he had a bit of a moan to my other half but appears to be a bit better this morning. He apologised and keeps cuddling me.

He is certainly acting like a teenager and I have noticed his legs are more hairy as well! Still not as hairy as mine grin

bamzooki Wed 20-Aug-08 08:37:57

Yes hormones. I have one too.. - 5yr ds that is! Take a deep breath, and give them the same treatment as your 3yr olds tantrums. Plus give him lots of jobs to do, and as much exercise as possible. Makes things Waayy better in our house.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 20-Aug-08 08:39:55

DS is 4.9 and can easily go from happy to very cross in about 3 seconds.

He seems to need more exercising at the moment - he and DH went swimming and to the playground yesterday and it definitely helped smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now