Talk

Advanced search

how long does your 4 mth old sleep?

(13 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 08:39:26

this is my 2nd baby so i should know better. its just that dd1 was not like this at all really (actually cant remember)

dd2 goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps til 830am (shes still asleep). she will be awake for about 2 hrs and have 2 feeds during this time.

then she will sleep for 3 sometimes 4 hrs. then be awake for about 4 hrs and have 2 feeds in that time.

then she has an hr sleep and i wake her for bathtime with her sister, she has another feed at 730pm then goes to bed!

it just seems an awful lot

with dd1 i never seemed to have any time, and this time round im wondering how i was so busy

does that make sense?

(i know what you are saying, and by this time next week i will be starting a thread called 'my baby wont sleep')

im just a bit worried!

also, when she wakes, she never ever cries. she hardly ever cries, tbh, only when she is really really hungry or tired.

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 09:25:34

anyone ?

Bozza Wed 16-Feb-05 09:27:12

Is she putting on weight OK? Sounds like she is fitting quite a few feeds into her waking times.

Is she alert and playful when she's awake? Is so I would say that you are lucky.

TBH that does sound like a lot of sleep at that age - although she sounds like she has a long wakeful spell in the afternoon. DD could never have stayed awake 4 hours at that age. She was more like 7.30 - 7 (with 2 wakings for feeds), 9.30 - 11, 1.30-2.30, 5-5.30.

I do think that the things seem to get done quicker with the second in general. The only problem you have is when you want to do things and it becomes difficult to accommodate all that sleep.

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 09:31:49

i havent had her weighed in ages bozza, tbh, but she is fairly chubby and is wearing 3-6 mth clothes.

she is bright and alert, she is very vocal ('talks' all the time)

if i need to go out and do things, she just seems to accept it wakes/sleeps/feeds as it happens

what do you think about the not crying? honestly, i cant remember the last time she cried. (well actually the last time i think was when she was still having night feeds, about 2 wks ago, she was obviously crying for a feed.)

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 09:32:14

Don't know about the sleep .. but personally if she's alert when awake I wouldn't worry too much, as you say it will change in the next couple of months as she starts to get more aware.

If it helps I've had very placid, easy babies .. both of mine (DS now 4, DD now 9 months) hardly ever cried .. when hungry or tired they tend to squawk a little (in a kind of 'oy you' sort of way)

DS was fairly easy and still is if I'm honest although he is totally capable of whinging and tantrums like the next kid it doesn't happen that often (and we come down hard on him when it does) .

. DS is also extremely verbal .. I think quiet babies are just taking it all in .. and personally I wouldn't worry about that

but then again you're the mum and you know best if you truly are worried get it checked out

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 09:32:58

but its not proper crying, more shouting and 'chatting' if you look at her she is smiling when she sees you looking at her

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 09:34:19

yup sounds like my 2 .. and may I just say with absolutely no bias at all .. my children are exceptionally fantastic, intelligent, beautiful, wonderf....

<twiglett mutters off into a love-fest for her children)

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 09:34:20

twig thats it! 'OY YOU' shouting not crying.

och maybe im just comparing with dd1 which is silly

nailpolish Wed 16-Feb-05 09:35:24

thanks twiglett and bozza i feel reassured now

Twiglett Wed 16-Feb-05 09:39:15

she sounds fab enjoy it

geogteach Wed 16-Feb-05 19:19:13

DS2 is 4 months today, doesn't sleep throgh and generally has one mega sleep, 3+ hours at lunch time, not what my others did but I suppose they're all different

Saacsmum Thu 17-Feb-05 07:20:53

Hi, Isaac is now 21wks old, he doesnt sleep through waking every couple of hours for a feed but goes back down again straight away. He generally has 'bedtime' from 8.00 until 6 (he actually is ready to get up most days at 5.30 but im not so I let him play in his cot) He goes back down for naps about 8.30-10.30, 1-2, 4-6, then bath, massage story and bed. Sometimes he has 5 or 6 naps in the day if they have been short. I read somewhere that a rough guide for this age is 15 hours sleep with 10 at night and around 2 hours between naps.
They are all so different!

nailpolish Thu 17-Feb-05 07:34:33

hi saacsmum

isnt it great when you can leave them in the cot for a wee while after they wake til you get the energy to move. its like they are content to just lie and wait for you, not scream as soon as they open their eyes.

do you put your baby boy down awake?

i think one biggee for us is having our evenings together (me and dh), so im always glad when bedtime is at 8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now