Talk

Advanced search

when do you stop winding a baby?!!

(24 Posts)
luckymummy74 Mon 18-Aug-08 19:03:32

My DD2 is 16 weeks. She rarely burps after her (breast) feed. I can remember with DD1 getting to a stage when we didn't wind her anymore, as she just burped when she needed too, but I can't remember at what point we started doing this?! Any tips?!

sarahsails Mon 18-Aug-08 20:34:41

When she is able to wriggle about on her own/ roll over/ crawl etc. The wind is naturally pushed up then. That's just my opinion though, someone else might have a medical answer.

meandmyjoe Mon 18-Aug-08 20:37:07

I still wind my 1 year old! I think it depends on the baby and on how well they bring up their wind. My ds is crawling and walking but still needs a little help to burp! i thought you just did it til they don't have bottles anymore blush

RustyBear Mon 18-Aug-08 20:38:01

I really want to say - when the key stops turning....

Sorry! blush

With both my two it was about four months or so.

luckymummy74 Tue 19-Aug-08 20:18:49

Sorry rustybear - I'm being really thick....what are you getting at? Don't get the key turning analogy?!!!

Anyone help?!

S1ur Tue 19-Aug-08 20:22:09

heh @ Rusty and [groan]

I rarely winded my babies (as opposed to winding them up which I did alot wink)

I think that most bf babies just fart a lot don't they? happily in their sleep. Or is that just mine....?

TarkaLiotta Tue 19-Aug-08 20:32:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RustyBear Tue 19-Aug-08 21:19:26

Sorry - just a rather bad pun...
blush

HereComeTheGirls Tue 19-Aug-08 21:29:03

if we dont wind my 22mo dd thoroughly before bed she wakes with trapped wind still!

scanner Tue 19-Aug-08 21:30:26

I never started, I guess I didn't have windy babies.

luckymummy74 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:32:55

Ok I get it....winding with an I as opposed to winding an 'in'.....hmm.

fourlittlefeet Tue 19-Aug-08 21:37:15

i stopped when mine could sit up and tended to burp on her own. still winded after the evening/bedtime feed and sometimes still do give her a tap on the way to bed and sometimes still get a burp...and she is 15 months old.

muddleduck Wed 20-Aug-08 11:43:48

I have never winded (or wound grin) either of my boys so I guess it completely depends on the baby.

pudding25 Wed 20-Aug-08 13:36:23

I never wind 14 wk old dd any more. Never really have. I know if she is windy as she comes off boob/bottle crying then just prop her up but I dont purposely wind her.

Pinkjenny Wed 20-Aug-08 13:40:54

I stopped when mine could sit up and roll over. Oh, I don't miss winding! That's one thing I won't be looking forward to next time!

ILovePudding Wed 20-Aug-08 13:42:29

I seem to remember being told by midwives that rountinely winding babies is a western habit and actually not all that necessary. Apparently in asian countries they are not nearly as concerned with winding their babies.

If your lo does not seem to be uncomfortable after feeding you probably don't need to wind them.

vbacqueen1 Wed 20-Aug-08 13:46:31

I always winded my first two babies but didn't with my second two and there was no difference in their behaviour (although, come to think of it, the last two were calmer - maybe because I stressed less?) I think bottle fed babies usually need winding but if they're breastfed, personally I wouldn't bother. If they have wind they'll burp automatically when you put them upright or pick them up. And the amount they all farted was exactly the same too!

MuffinMclay Wed 20-Aug-08 13:47:17

I'm still doing it at 6 months. If I forget he blurps stuff up later (usually over me or the carpet).

I guess it depends on the baby. My SIL never winded her lot.

EmmaCH23 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:14:11

If I don't wind my 6 month old or he goes to sleep on his bottle he screams house down until you eventually get it out of him

Eminybob Thu 30-Jul-15 16:44:04

I rarely winded DS unless he seemed to need it. He'd hardly ever burp when I did so I just stopped. He's 1 now and still has bottles but it has never occurred to me to wind him for months and months.

Artandco Thu 30-Jul-15 16:47:21

Breastfed Babies often don't need it as less air gets in.

Best way is just try not winding after a feed in the morning and see how they are between then and next feed. If they seem happy and not uncomfortable carry on not winding at next feed. If they seem to need it wind again another week or so and try again.

KLou1105 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:25:34

I think I stopped winding dd at about 7/8months x

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 13-Aug-15 20:27:05

With DD it was 6 months as that was when she could sit up unaided and seemed to start bringing her own wind up.

TheImprobableGirl Thu 13-Aug-15 20:28:11

Still wind mine at 15months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now