Talk

Advanced search

Baby can't keep his feed down without puking and I think he's teething, is there a link?

(5 Posts)
G2B Fri 15-Aug-08 23:34:46

He's almost 4 months old (well 3 and a halfish) and he cannot keep his bottle down. He's a reflux baby so he's on domperidone and gaviscon and Wysoy (SMA). I don't know if maybe his wysoy is causing it as he's also developed exzma. Or whether he's poorly? But he's smiley and happy. Or if it's because he's teething.

He grabs everything and chews it. He uses teething rings, teething keys, teething dodi, everything...

.. and sometimes he just screams like he's hurting and I don't know if it's wind, colic, sore tummy or teeth. It's random and only lasts a few seconds for no reason, then he's smiley again.

BlueberryPancake Sat 16-Aug-08 03:50:11

in my experience, teething doesn't cause vomiting, and the pain is persistent (doesn't come in short bursts - they cry for a long time.) But in my experience tummy cramps are in short bursts, it hurts a lot for a short time and they're fine again. How is his poo?

Sometimes teething can cause skin problems I think, My DS1 had very bad nappy rash during teething and his exzema got worst during that time. Also 3.5 months old is a bit young for teething (although DS2 had a tooth at four months so it happens!). It could be a virus. Itès so hard to tell!

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 16-Aug-08 08:07:22

Why is he on Wysoy (it's not recommended for under 2's except as an absolute last resort)?

G2B Sat 16-Aug-08 10:41:45

His reflux was awful on proper milk, even Hipp Organic, so the GP put him on it and his reflux settled quite a lot for while, but suddenly it's back with a vengence.

How come it's not recommended for under 2s? I didn't even know that. He is putting on weight and growing very quickly. He's extremely long and he weighed 14lb 14 last week at his check up.

Blueberry- he's on gaviscon so he always has quite tough poos but he's pooing very regularly at the moment so he must be getting atleast some milk after his sick I suppose.

He's getting increasingly hungry though.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 20-Aug-08 17:37:44

Hi G2B - sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

From this article:

'The Department of Health and the British Dietetics Association advise against this [use of soya formula] because soy contains high levels of compounds called phytoestrogens that mimic the action of the female hormone oestrogen and which could pose a risk to the long-term fertility of infants.

There is also a risk that babies who are allergic to cow's milk will also be allergic to soy milk, and sheep and goat's milk.'

Soya milk is also very sweet, and has been linked to tooth decay in infants.

Sadly many GPs are oblivious to these facts.

It might be worth talking to your GP about the possibility of milk intolerance (or maybe not if your GP is so ill informed hmm) and now soy intolerance. Many of the symptoms of CMP intolerance are similar to reflux (and many children suffer from both), and developing a soy allergy now would fit with this. Eczema is a common symptom of milk/soy allergy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now