Talk

Advanced search

ds is a real fighter help

(12 Posts)
joesy Tue 15-Feb-05 11:22:43

19 month ds keeps going over to 6 year old ds and nipping, biting,scratching and hitting. He has my 6 year old in tears many a time. It is not as if he does not get enough attention as he does and the 6year old spends alot of time with him. It is getting out of hand as he is vicious at times. Help!

hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 11:23:49

Oh God, you could be me except dd is 16 months. She has to be watched like a hawk with other children. I'll watch this thread with interest.

joesy Tue 15-Feb-05 11:25:52

I have a monster in the making. lol

hercules Tue 15-Feb-05 11:26:27

My ds was very gentle and never ever hurt any other child. I was soo smug.

nailpolish Tue 15-Feb-05 11:28:58

what do you do for discipline? my dd was like this and i used the naughty step

joesy Tue 15-Feb-05 11:33:36

I take him away each time and tell him no.
Is he not too young for the bottom stair trick? Alot of my friends use this.

nailpolish Tue 15-Feb-05 11:36:08

ive been using the naughty step with dd for a while now and shes 28 mths

i dont know if thats what did the trick or if she just grew out of it

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 09:22:13

No he isn't too young at 19 months for the bottom stair. Actually if it was me I would escalate it beyond the bottom stair and ratchet it up to 'Time Out' (in our house this is the downstairs loo). Zero tolerance for aggressive behaviour - nip it in the bud now. My dd started pinching and biting at a not disimilar age. I went in 'hard' and fortunately she stopped quite quickly

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 09:24:03

19 months is a bit young - but if he is old enough to understand a lot of what you say to him, then he is old enough to understand when you tell him that biting and hitting is not right - and thus naughty step / time out is appropriate.

DaddyCool Wed 16-Feb-05 09:35:48

I also have a 19mth old who bites scrapes.. the whole lot. He beats the stuffing out of me and i've got scrape marks on my face.

He's getting better though. He can also be a bit clingy so everytime he bites or scrapes while i'm holding him, i immediately put him on the floor, bend down to his level and say sternly 'no biting and no scraping'. he seems to be getting the point and it's certainly getting better each day. they must be told because by 19mths they definately understand exactly what you're getting at.

joesy Wed 16-Feb-05 10:13:41

This morning he has been really bold doing the usual to my 6 year old. I have been pulling him away and telling him that he must not do these thing. I have lifted him on to he sofa and kept stopping him each time he went to get down.

handlemecarefully Wed 16-Feb-05 10:35:38

So try the downstairs loo or something similar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: