Talk

Advanced search

sudden loud night wakings in previously very settled 16mth old

(10 Posts)
Piffle Thu 14-Aug-08 23:18:43

ds2 not teething ( has all but last 4 2nd molars and teethed easily)
Always been good sleeper. Suddenly started night waking 3 night ago loud screaming standing up with tears
Settles upon being soothed in my or dps arms
Settles if fed but has been sleeping thru for months.
Fine in day and naps great.
Am worried about bad dreams
He thumb sucks and has his adored snuggly bear.
Am at loss to understand
Is it night terrors or some form of separation anxiety?
Help

christiana Thu 14-Aug-08 23:26:30

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Thu 14-Aug-08 23:30:43

oh, the poor thing (and poor you and Dh getting woken up)

When DS was having night terrors he was generally inconsolable for about 10-20 mins, so it might just be some bad dreams?

what we did notice is that any time he did have really bad dreams or night terrors it always co-incided with a growth spurt.

Hopefully it's just a phase and will pass, but in the meantime his snuggly should help to make him feel more secure.

Piffle Fri 15-Aug-08 13:56:45

I did wonder... Dp and I went away for 4 nights leaving ds1 14yrs dd 5yrs and ds2 16mths with my mum who they adore.
Perhaps this is it?
He woke at 11 last night I settled him again he woke again 12am I gave him milk and nurofen.
Heslept through til 7.45am.
Maybe anxiety after us being away? He was great for my mum. Thing is I have to go to Australia in October for my brothers wedding. Dp andhisparents will be taking care of them.
I'm worriedabout ds2 now although ds2 settles well forbid daddy too.

lazyemma Fri 15-Aug-08 22:14:53

Piffle, my daughter (at just 16 months) has been going through a very similar patch. She's always been a good sleeper, except with the usual stuff like colds etc, but for the last couple of weeks she's been waking between 10-11pm, and then at least once, sometimes twice or three times, through the rest of the night. My conclusion is much the same as Daisy's - she's going through some sort of developmental spurt, and her mind is buzzing so much with all this new stuff she's just not sleeping as soundly.

Piffle Fri 15-Aug-08 23:36:17

possibly again...
He was shattered today having only had a 30 min Catnap in car this morning. But 1hr after going to sleep beautifully he was awake screaming until he was nearly sick.
We settled him with nurofen and a cosy milk feed nothing since from him
No obvious signs of pain aside from tears and genuine stress.
Tis bizarre for him, epitome of laidback temperament really for toddler.
He is very active and very physical in the day though...

mamabear2b Sat 16-Aug-08 21:46:38

Piffle my LO went through the same thing about a month ago (now 17m) and it was really hard work, especially when they seem so upset almost terrified.

I agree that it's probably some sort of phase they go through but it can be scary, just do what feels right for you, I used to sit on the floor holding his hand until he fell asleep.

Also, might not be relevant but we stopped giving him cheese after 5pm and that seemed to help!

tori32 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:07:54

I agree about checking cheese intake at evening meals as this is linked to bad dreams/night terrors. My dd1 is 2.6 y and went throught a similar thing at about this age. It should pass and is thought to be related to high brain activity because around this age they start to learn and understand more, imagination develops more so dreams can become confusing as all the information is trying to be processed and made sense of. It is hard when it happens but it should pass sad.

tori32 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:08:58

I just used to talk gently to dd and stroke her head which seemed to soothe her.

Piffle Sat 16-Aug-08 22:17:52

thanks loads
He hates cheese pretty much so no issues there.
He has been fine tonight
What I think is that he has something in his mouth like an ulcer from maybe a fall or knock as he has a bruise on his lower cheek.
I think this has bene bothering him as he has been off certain foods that need chewing lately.
He is not a maoner at all and seems to have a high pain threshold in general knocks and scrapes.
Even teething and he has all but last 4 2nd molars he barely whimpered...
Hopefully this is the end of it now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now