Talk

Advanced search

Spitting the toothpaste

(13 Posts)
balanomorey Thu 14-Aug-08 14:06:12

Just wondering at what age you are supposed to encourage your dc's to spit the toothpaste? My dd is 2.10 and dosn't spit - we get through 2 blobs of toothpaste per brushing session as I have to let her have a go at cleaning first, which of course at that age is totally ineffective, before she'll let me have a go...so I guess she is eating a fair bit of toothpaste! Is this OK?
Thanks in advance for any advice smile

FruitynNutty Thu 14-Aug-08 14:07:14

My 3 yr old never spits, it's already gone after the first brush!

33k Thu 14-Aug-08 14:09:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghosty Thu 14-Aug-08 14:10:35

DD spits hers out now, she is 4.

Cosette Thu 14-Aug-08 14:11:58

My 2 year old doesn't spit either - but I did read somewhere that actually it's better not to - as they get more protection from the flouride if they don't spit, assuming they're using the right age toothpaste of course.

JackieNo Thu 14-Aug-08 14:12:20

I think when they were tiny, I used so little toothpaste that it didn't matter too much, though I still tried to encourage spitting. Now they're older (and much better at spitting), I'm happy to use a bit more toothpaste.

JackieNo Thu 14-Aug-08 14:12:59

But you're not supposed to swallow too much fluoride toothpaste, so better to spit than swallow it.

JackieNo Thu 14-Aug-08 14:18:50

Too much fluoride can lead to fluorosis or fluoridosis (look at the bit that says 'What are the side effects of fluoride?')

JackieNo Thu 14-Aug-08 14:20:14

Times article, even if they have spelt 'fluoride' wrongly in the headlinewink.

balanomorey Thu 14-Aug-08 15:58:23

Until I read the articles supplied by JackieNo, was feeling fairly relaxed at not encouraging spitting....now I'm a tad worried about the amount of toothpaste we use for brushing as we don't spit!

What scarey reading! shock Am horrified at the prospect of dd ending up with brown, mottled teeth. Before I got to the end of the Times article, I had already dreamt up a rinsing and spitting game involving a glass of water....then it says don't rinse, just spit. As 33k says, how to get them to do it! Will have to try tho, and from now on will give dd her brush with no paste on to do her 'cleaning' and save the 1 pea sized dose for my turn!! Blimey, another for the list of 'do's' and 'dont's'!!!

UniS Thu 14-Aug-08 22:41:03

spitting started here last week when boy learnt to spit and was spitting alover the place to show offhis new skill. I'm now channeling it to after tooth brushing. hes 2.5 before last week he simply didn't know how to spit. hes till on a smear of toothpaste tho. he has a go then i give a good brush with no extra tooth paste. dentist has been happy with his teeth so far.

WendyWeber Thu 14-Aug-08 22:47:30

Eating it is OK actually, as long as your water isn't highly fluoridated (or whatever the word is) - check with your water company.

WendyWeber Thu 14-Aug-08 22:48:47

And they shouldn't rinse, even if they do spit, as leaving some in the mouth helps strengthen enamel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now