Talk

Advanced search

post-eclamptic fit babies

(9 Posts)
sthullen Thu 14-Aug-08 08:40:59

I didn't know how else to describe this, but was wondering if there is anyone out there who had eclampsia, including fits, and how is the baby doing now in terms of behaviour? I had eclampsia (even though no signs of it during pregnancy), with two fits, one before the birth, one after. DD was fine overall, and now is 7.5 months. She is healthy and happy,however, she is a terrible sleeper, no more than 2 hours at a time, especially naps are only 20 minutes or so. I have assumed various reasons for this, hunger, growth-spurt, teething, but this has been going on since she turned 4 months non-stop, and before that she wasn't that great of a sleeper either. And every time she wakes up she seems to be in some sort of pain or discomfort, like she can't get comfortable again after waking. She is also very sensitive to noise and bright lights. I have taken her to a cranial osteopath and cranio-sacral therapist, but it has not really helped much. Planning to take her to the GP and see what they say. I would love to hear anyone else's experience.

ScottishMummy Thu 14-Aug-08 08:59:29

has your baby had all the GP and HV developmental checks?has anyone raised any concerns

also are you ok.did you get to debrief about your experiences of eclampsia? does it still trouble you/what a truly frightening experience for you

put your mind at ease about baby go see GP.discuss your observations

i had pre-eclampsia with HELLP syndrome. i was terified resulted in emergency cs and LBW baby

i debriefed with my gp, and that really helped me

i had under estimated and not taken in to account the stress i had experienced

thinking about you

ScottishMummy Thu 14-Aug-08 08:59:33

has your baby had all the GP and HV developmental checks?has anyone raised any concerns

also are you ok.did you get to debrief about your experiences of eclampsia? does it still trouble you/what a truly frightening experience for you

put your mind at ease about baby go see GP.discuss your observations

i had pre-eclampsia with HELLP syndrome. i was terified resulted in emergency cs and LBW baby

i debriefed with my gp, and that really helped me

i had under estimated and not taken in to account the stress i had experienced

thinking about you

sthullen Thu 14-Aug-08 09:59:01

She's had all her checks so far, and all ok. The only concern at first was that she lost a lot of her birth weight and I felt pressured by hv and mw to give formula, but luckily I got in touch with a lactation consultant who helped me loads, and after a few weeks she regained the weight and has now even climbed further up the %ile range now, all exclusively bf until 6 months.

I debriefed with the consultant and midwives at the hospital during my stay, and then with family afterwards. Had a hard time coming to terms but feel better now, although do feel scared about having another baby. I think DH needs more debriefing than me, though, as he watched the whole thing, and still doesn't really want to think about it at all!

Going to the GP now, will let you know what he says...

ScottishMummy Thu 14-Aug-08 12:39:09

ok so actually sound positive no worries expressed about LO.hope gp visit is reassuring

completly understand the worry anxiety about having another , it is natural reaction to such stress

the "cure" for preclampsia and eclampsia is to deliver the baby and vigilance of symptoms during pg and 2-4 days post delivery. i felt relieved that is is a pg related illness, and resolves after birth

i suppose discuss with your partner
what did he see
what did he feel
has it had an impact
is he ok

scary for man because inevitabily as mum is pt they do get overlooked

christywhisty Thu 14-Aug-08 13:23:41

I had pre eclampsia from 32 weeks until he was induced at 38 weeks, although I didn't have any fits. DS was fine as a baby and slept through from 3 months. He has a few problems such as dyslexia and febrile convulsions until the age of 10 (he is 13 next month) but these are both family related, so I don't think there is any connection.

SandyJ Thu 14-Aug-08 13:29:26

I had pre-eclampsia and speant the last 3 weeks in hospital (failed induction / em c-section). What really helped me was a full de-briefing with my consultant 6 weeks after the birth to go through all my notes, what happened and why - my midwife did do all that a fews days after the birth, but I wasn't really ready to take it in - see if you can talk it through again with someone from the hospital?

sthullen Thu 14-Aug-08 15:35:18

well back from the GP, he said basically that the eclamptic fits are unlikely to cause any sleeping problems in DD, and doesn't think there are any other medical reasons...well I guess it's just the normal sleeping problems then!

ScottishMummy Thu 14-Aug-08 19:51:38

well, you have a normal bawling bouncing baby in literature no PE effects on baby apart from LBW and Intra-uterine growth restriction (IUGR) and occasionally elevated BP in first 1-2 wks

nothing enduring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now