Talk

Advanced search

ds waking up several times from midnight to 5am, SCREAMING as if in fear, he is not unwell, any ideas please??

(24 Posts)
littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 00:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GivePeasAChance Wed 13-Aug-08 00:43:25

night terrors ?

Is he not quite 'with it'?

TenaciousG Wed 13-Aug-08 00:45:26

It sounds like night terrors, except he wakes up from it fully. I don't know how you would treat them tb;, I know someone who used to have them, but he just grew out of it. I hope someone more helpful comes along soon.

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 00:45:33

TenaciousG Wed 13-Aug-08 00:47:08

night terrors. Some useful external links at the bottom. I hope you find a solution, it sounds horrible.

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 00:48:32

S1ur Wed 13-Aug-08 00:52:07

Oh Lapin sweeite sad

It does sound like night terrors to me too. But also I wonder if he is unsettled because of move? Or possibly sometimes they can be fighting off a minor infection with no obvious symptoms and its just enough to throw them of. Has anything else changed? diet etc?

Poor little love (ds that is)

GivePeasAChance Wed 13-Aug-08 00:53:59

DS2 had these for a short while ( DS1 is a sleep walker which fits with the genetic thing - DH was also sleep walker til mid 20s) and it seemed the best solution was just to stroke his head to go back to sleep ( don't know whether that made ANY difference) - good luck though it's horrible.

S1ur Wed 13-Aug-08 00:56:37

I agree that there is little you can do during an episode other than soothe and comfort as best you can (friend's dc has night terrors sporadically)

Apparently you might sometimes prevent them by waking them to say goodnight/ tuck them in each night once they're asleep.

How is move though? Is it a bit high emotion at your place? Is it busy and a bit exciting a bit strange a bit anticipatory?

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 00:56:43

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 00:58:49

S1ur Wed 13-Aug-08 01:01:02

Oh oh awwwwww poor baby love.

It is a tough thing to move. Thank goodness Dh is about! It may work even better if it is him doing the stroking..

As an aside, possible irrevelant because you boy is used to Dh not being around for long periods. But. My dcs find it hard during summer when Dh is around a lot. It is a big adjustment, they love it but they are very clingy like they want to make sure it is for real and he isn't going to work in the morning or when he leaves the room!

Maybe ds has a lot on his plate right now.

S1ur Wed 13-Aug-08 01:02:18

irrelevant

poshtottie Wed 13-Aug-08 07:49:44

my ds 2 is like this sometimes. He is also inconsolable so I just pick him up and bring him in with me and he usually goes off to sleep. He is definitely worse when dh has to go back to work, more unsettled.

megcleary Wed 13-Aug-08 07:52:21

could an 11 mo have this my dd has done this last two nights?

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 09:46:52

megcleary Wed 13-Aug-08 13:55:03

hm hope she has a better night tonight did not expect to see real fear at this age

never ran upstairs so fast in my life

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 14:30:41

Pinkjenny Wed 13-Aug-08 14:32:26

DD does this sometimes, know what you mean meg, it's so disconcerting!

It takes her a while to realise who I am, then she just kind of collapses into me, in relief.

Aw, my baby!!

megcleary Wed 13-Aug-08 14:46:33

i find waking her gently best if possible and then oodles of cuddles when she realises where she is

Fatbag Wed 13-Aug-08 15:19:49

Sounds like night terrors, though they are meant to happen more often before 12, but when do children follow the rules?

DD1 (now 4.5) started this around 3 and still has them occaisionally. Screams and screams - seems to be with it (says apparently coherant things) but isn't really, can't be touched and flays arms and legs, and then drops off soundly and remembers nothing - does he remember in the morning? Make sure you try him on potty if not still nappies btw, as they often wee as they relax and come round. Its on the same spectrum of behavior as sleepwalking - the mildest being opening eyes and being a bit blank in sleep in infancy (which DD did and we were told it was just a "funny turn"). Its really frightening but surprisingly common (in my family 6 people admitted to having them in childhood!). Its apparently worse in children with middle ear problems and we worked out that DD only really gets it when she has a mild temperature or is coming down with something. Its been so much better since she had gromits - is there any chnace he has a temperature? There is an awful book by Dr Ferber (sp?) about sleep problems, but he does explain children's sleep and things like night terrors very clearly. Ignore the rest of the book - he advocates letting children cry themselves to sleep.

They grow out of it, and its not regarded as problematic I think till after 6, though I know an 8yr old who still has them. I know its hard but we just sit their gently offering reassurance (which sometimes seems to make it worse) until she comes out of it. Recently just getting their early enough and reading a familiar story has been working, but I have spent many a night just watching till it passes and it can be heartbreaking - sorry that doesn't help much. Its really scary when it first happens (I thought she had some form of epilepsy or trauma that we didn't know about, and it wasn't helped by my father declaring he "had never seen anything like it" at 11:30 at night) and I felt there must be something that she was worrying about - I think there may be an element of anxiety, but they don't come to any harm and rarely remember. We found it best not to talk about it to DD too as she became worried.

I would get his ears and throat (tonsils) checked, just in case he has something mild that's not really showing yet or is fighting something off. Also you might just think about anything that has changed or is causing anxiety, but I wouldn't equate that as a cause as such.

Fatbag Wed 13-Aug-08 15:21:55

getting there and I can't spell occaisionally, at all.

Blu Wed 13-Aug-08 15:25:25

DS used to get night terrors when over-tired, over-excited or a bit ill - moving house could easily do it, I reckon.

It seems as if they are awake but a bit strange - very repetitive, yelling 'no, no' a lot, etc.

We found that it was by far best NOT to intervene at all - not even comfort, as that only provoked it to go on longer. We just used to lie next to him quietly until it stopped. He never remembered it in the morning. He would get even more upset if we tried to wake him - quite hysterical.

It's very disoncerting but quite normal and harmless - and not, I think, a sign of deep trauma, bad parenting...and the other things we all tend to worry about at times like that!

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 15:31:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now