Talk

Advanced search

How do you cope with early walkers?!

(11 Posts)
dontbitemytoes Tue 12-Aug-08 20:45:34

Hi, dd is now 11 months old and has been walking properly for well over 6 weeks. She has now learnt to run and races off everywhere we go. What do i do?! I don't really want to use reins, mainly because she is so small, and when she runs is unsteady(ish) so any slight pull on the reins and she'll be flat on her back tantrumming.

BUT..she won't tolerate the thought of holding my hand unless she's feeling insecure, and won't turn round or respond when i call her name. She does know her name, and understands and awful lot of what you tell her, but i guess the distractions of being outside and free are too great grin

So please, humour me, tell me how you coped with wilful walkers before they are old enough to be bargained with or bribed!

TIA

DiscoDizzy Tue 12-Aug-08 20:47:10

yes DD2 was 10 months when she was fully walking, also had DD1 who was 2 yrs. It was a bloody pain in the bum.

Donk Tue 12-Aug-08 20:48:06

shackles....

liath Tue 12-Aug-08 20:54:54

ds walked at 10 months. It's a nightmare - at 16 months now he is like greased lightening and just buggers off very very fast without a backwards glance. I have a 3 year old too, who is pretty speedy <gibbers>, I have wondered in all honesty wehther to get an extendable dog lead for him. He hates reins and tries to vault out of the back carrier.

I tend to only let him loose in enclosed playgrounds or in a wide open space where I can see him. Sympathies and just wait till the climbing starts <gibbers again at the memory of ds on the kitchen side playing with knives after I turned my back for 2 seconds today>.

AllBuggiedOut Tue 12-Aug-08 20:55:58

Reins! That or don't let her out of the buggy... And you can stop them from falling to the ground with reins because you can keep them lifted, so she shouldn't end up flat on her back as you describe (although she may choose to tantrum mid-air, of course wink)

Shoegazer Tue 12-Aug-08 21:10:52

You have just exactly described my DD when she was the same age! I tried reins but we couldn't get on with them. My strategy was always take her somewhere outside she could run around safely each day, and buggy for other times near busy roads etc.

christywhisty Tue 12-Aug-08 21:14:05

To me it was a relief ds was huge by then and too heavy to pick up all the time, but agree with the Allbuggiedout use reins or keep to the push chair.

mumof3lovelykids Tue 12-Aug-08 21:18:17

DS walked at 9 months... looked too small but really cute!

Reins do work as they will soon learn that you wont take any s**t from them.

And... if they fall over and it hurts they wot try and run off again

dontbitemytoes Tue 12-Aug-08 21:31:26

thanks all, we only really let her run around in park, on moors (we are lucky to live close) although the bumpy ground makes her fall often or quiet supermarkets when i can't bear the whinging/squirming any more grin

off to buy reins me thinks wink

would still be interested if anyone else has other suggestions though..

and dd does look very cute, she is small for her age, still in 6-9 month clothes and not much hair, so cute, but very cheeky - and a tad frustrating smile

liath - you make me panic! And there i was naively (sp?) thinking it would get better.grin

bigcar Wed 13-Aug-08 10:58:42

You could always go for something like this so she might think she is carrying a bag with her favourite things in rather than wearing reins. The strap clips on at the top of the bag so you can keep hold of her.

dontbitemytoes Wed 13-Aug-08 16:16:35

oooh i like THAT bigcar! its fantastic and not too "reiny"!! ben to beach today to let her wear herself out - didn't really do the trick i think as she runs round and round the sofa!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now