Talk

Advanced search

1 yo DS - havoc getting him dressed - any tips?

(6 Posts)
OrangeKnickers Mon 11-Aug-08 15:20:02

As he gets older he plays up more and more having his nappy changed and getting dressed / putting jim jams on. At the mo dh has him in a leg lock to get him dressed in the morning! He squirms and screams.

He's fine with everything else and is usually relaxed. Any tips on making the process easier for them both?

tab1 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:23:21

dd is 13 months and exactly the same, screaming matches over the simplest things. I give her a random safe household object to look at while i quickly do her nappy and then i dress her while she stands up as it seems to be the lieing down she hates. she won't lie down or sit in bath either, i have to chase her with a sponge. it sounds funny but i am losing patience with her at the moment and it makes me sad as i'm not enjoying life like i want to.

HuwEdwards Mon 11-Aug-08 15:24:22

I used to sing the hokey cokey, adapted slightly. "We put your right arm in, your left arm in" etc.

But am a bit bonkers.

AlexanderPandasmum Mon 11-Aug-08 15:29:08

I have a 17 month old and he has become a nightmare to dress and change his nappy. I have started using nappies that pull up and bought some pyjamas so I can dress him without lying him down. Also (shame) I put Teletubbies on while I lay him down to change a very smelly nappy! He will lie still watching it for long enough for me to wipe him (saves having him crawl off and get poo everywhere grin.

meandmyjoe Mon 11-Aug-08 16:14:58

I have the same problem but ds has always been dreadful to dress, even as a newborn he would kick and scream and it was a bit like dressing an octopus at times! He is 12 months now and the only way I can distract him to change a nappy is to lay him down and as I'm taking his trousers off, flop my hair over his face and tickle him with it whilst singing intsy wintsy spider! Fine if you have long hair but no good for poor dh who just has to endure the screaming! I think it's normal at this age though but I'm hoping it will pass, one day!

OrangeKnickers Mon 11-Aug-08 16:29:52

I have tried the singing and the hair thing, but as has been mentioned, dp doesn't have the hair to flick. It might have to be ITNG on.

Hope you are OK tab1 - don't worry - it's only a little thing and she won't rememebr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now