Talk

Advanced search

My 22 month old doesn't say very much. Should i be worried?

(10 Posts)
MsSparkle Sun 10-Aug-08 19:52:54

My dd is 22 months and isn't saying very much at all. She says some words but not alot but she understands what you say to her.

I have had some comments from people and it's got me a little bit worried tbh.

Did anyone elses dc not talk very much at 22 months?

BreeVanderCampLGJ Sun 10-Aug-08 19:58:45

I wouldn't worry just yet.

If you are happy that her hearing is fine, then it will come in time.

I always the tell the obviously made up story about the child who did not speak until it was 7.

The Mother worried, the Father worried, the extended family worried, but after seven years they learnt to live with it.

One evening they were all sitting at dinner, and the seven year old said "pass the salt"

Cue much shock horror from the adults, you can speak they said.....we thought you could not talk.

Why have you been silent until now.....

The child replied, everything has been ok until today. grin

They speak when they are ready.

used2bthin Sun 10-Aug-08 20:09:35

My DD is 22m and not saying much at all either, I had her hearing checked and it seems all is ok so I'm just waiting for her to start. My cousin's DS was exactly the same and he doesn't stop now grin I know what you mean though I have worried about it a bit but thats partly because my DD did start talking then stopped. She seems to be making a bigger variety of sounds now though so I am hoping it'll come soon.

MannyMoeAndJack Sun 10-Aug-08 20:34:48

Is your dd using alternative methods of communicating instead of speech, for example, lots of pointing and gesturing?

TotalChaos Sun 10-Aug-08 20:42:31

I agree with MannyMoe. I think that if she understands well and communicates well by means other than speech then it looks pretty hopeful that she is just a little late getting starting but will soon catch up. If you don't have other concerns, I would give it a few months, and if you don't notice any real progress in that time, push for speech therapy referral (some areas let you refer yourself, others make you go through HV/GP). Waiting list for speech therapy can be several months long in some areas.

My DS has moderate speech/language delay - the "giveaway" signs were that he made very little progress at all between 2 and 3, learnt some phrases but didn't really combine words into sentences, and learnt few new words.

mejon Sun 10-Aug-08 21:02:22

My DD was 2 last week and so far has only a handful of words - 5 or 6 - most recently 'mami' which she seems to have on a constant loop! She understands everything I say to her and points a lot. Her hearing is fine and she babbles a lot to herself. I'm not overtly concerned as yet though its hard not to compare her to other children of the same age who are speaking in sentences and have been for some time. It'll come in time smile.

MsSparkle Mon 11-Aug-08 20:46:43

Yes my dd does lots of pointing and gesturing. I guess i am just worrying for nothing.

whatdayisit Mon 11-Aug-08 20:58:52

My DS1 had no words at all at his 2nd bithday, 6 weeks later he was speaking in full sentences and now at 7 he's (according to his teacher) one of the most articulate 7yo's she's ever met.

Most of his development stages have been like this. He watches/listens and learns until he's confident he can do it and then he's off.

LittleDorrit Mon 11-Aug-08 21:07:00

As long as she is trying to communicate in other ways, there is nothing to worry about ! My DD didn't start saying anything until about 26 months. She is now 28 months and is still only saying individual words but I am not at all worried.

leoemma Mon 11-Aug-08 21:15:17

my ds is 3 next week and says bob, mum, da, baba, bye and hi. HE says other 'words' for certain things but not the words they should be. speech therapist says its not that he cant but he wont and he does get easily emabarresed. Case in point he said butteyfy to me last night but wont say it again! It will come when he is ready!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now