Talk

Advanced search

DD age 5.5 humming and laughing to herself all the time - is this normal?

(8 Posts)
Minniethemoocher Sun 10-Aug-08 19:27:13

Recently DD has started humming to herself and laughing at private jokes all the time, when I ask her what is funny, she just replies in a made up language/gibberish.

It is driving me mad! Help!!

Is this normal behaviour?

We have an appointment with the Educational Psychologist in the Autumn to investigate her potential dyslexia and potentially some other learning difficulty.

Miggsie Sun 10-Aug-08 19:34:59

...I hope it's normal, my DD nearly 5 sings, hums, makes up wierd poems and dances, talks nonesense, babbles away...but she is very creative, inventive, chatty and happy.
I leave the room on humming as it tends to drive you insane after a while.

She also bops around to a nursery rhymes CD a lot

Minniethemoocher Sun 10-Aug-08 19:48:30

Yes, the humming and the constant laughing at private jokes are driving me insane at the moment! I am 7 months pregnant, so maybe I am not at my most tolerant....

DD is also very happy, and very imaginative too, although not very chatty at all.

ButterflyMcQueen Sun 10-Aug-08 19:57:57

yes ds is a private joker

sadly i am all too aware his jokes are usually at someone elses expense but yes he is very creative too

AMumInScotland Sun 10-Aug-08 20:36:43

Yep, normal - they get very imaginative and creative, but haven't learned to hide it yet!

themoon66 Sun 10-Aug-08 20:48:34

Perfectly normal. DD used to practice having conversations, telling jokes and even crying aesthetically... all in front of a mirror.

blueshoes Sun 10-Aug-08 21:04:27

oh yes, very normal. My dd makes up names and characters and invents foreign languages and elaborate roleplays. Minnie, your dd has a rich inner life grin

Minniethemoocher Mon 11-Aug-08 16:41:31

Your comments are all very reassuring! I was beginning to wonder about DD..she seems to live in a world of her own (can't say I blame her, some days I would like to do the same...)

Yes, she likes making up foreign languages too, but I put that down to the fact that she hears different languages spoken by our family and is trying to copy them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now