Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

10 months old shaking his head........

(15 Posts)
Simi Sun 13-Feb-05 20:19:20

Hello, my ds is 10 months old and has started shaking his head a lot recently, especially when he listens to music. It looks very sweet but actually makes me feel dizzy and probably him too and I wonder if it is normal, I am getting a bit concerned as he seems to be doing it more and more these days. Just wondered if any other babys are doing the same thing?

vict17 Sun 13-Feb-05 20:21:13

Mine is the same age and does it all the time. It makes him laugh. He does it to make himself laugh (!) as well as for saying no to food. Doesn't worry me at all.

lunavix Sun 13-Feb-05 21:15:10

Ds ( 10 months tuesday ) does it ALL day....

coppertop Sun 13-Feb-05 21:23:57

A lot of babies do it because of the sensation it gives them. The novelty does wear off eventually though.

highlander Sun 13-Feb-05 21:26:55

my 6mo has always done the head shaking thing when he's tired. When he goes to bed he bangs his head from side to side on the cot until he drops off.

edam Sun 13-Feb-05 21:40:54

Mine did this too - used to make me dizzy watching him. Must be very exciting to discover you can shake your head from side to side for the first time, I imagine.

Jbck Sun 13-Feb-05 21:47:58

DD used to play a game when she was about 11 months. She used to spin round as fast as she could for as long as she could till she fell down shouting 'DIZZA' now that made me dizzy & feel sick. She would then get up laugh & do it again, thankfully she grew out of it.

fimblesfan Sun 13-Feb-05 21:48:29

My ds is 10.5 months & does this all the time & has done for a few months you have nothing to worry about its normal for them to learn how their body can do different things.

vicdubya Sun 13-Feb-05 21:52:02

My ds 11 months has also just started a sort of head banging & bouncing up & down on his knees to music. It's hilarious. Any tinny battery operated toy will do.

But I agree if you try it yourself, it makes you feel really giddy.

Hope they develop a sense of rythmn soon!

helsi Sun 13-Feb-05 21:55:16

My dd (26 mths) still does this. I think she likes the feel of her hair wafting around he head - as has been said before - I think it is just new sensations and being aware of what they can do.

bobbybob Sun 13-Feb-05 22:00:34

I remember starting a thread that said exactly the same thing, everyone said he did it because he could, and they were right.

Catbert Sun 13-Feb-05 22:00:58

It's developmental milestone! They are gaining more control over their bodily movements - it's something to be proud of! They sometimes learn to nod as well as shake!

It's when they learn they can combine it with "no" you've got to worry!!

DaddyCool Mon 14-Feb-05 10:11:59

my 19mth ds does it all the time and has been since before he was 1 year. i now nod at him for him to stop and he starts nodding instead, which he can't sustain for very long so it stops the whole thing.

SeaShells Mon 14-Feb-05 10:14:27

Yeah my DD did it all the time at that age, it was her way of dancing, we'd all copy her and get dizzy, don't know how she could do it so fast or for so long!

Simi Mon 14-Feb-05 10:31:23

Thank you all, I feel really relieved that all your babys are doing the same or similar thing, now I can just enjoy watching him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now