Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop DD chewing everything?

(8 Posts)
pinkspottywellies Sun 10-Aug-08 11:38:06

DD is 21 months and constantly chews things. Finger-nails, toe-nails hmm, she's chewed the thumb off her plastic Upsy-Daisy and the hair off her cuddly Iggle-Piggle, all her books have chewed corners, her sippy-cup spouts all have holes in.

It's something that DH has always done - he's just said all his Star Wars books have chewed corners! - but I don't want her wrecking all the nice things she has sad

Any thoughts oh wise Mumsnetters?

ThatBigGermanPrison Sun 10-Aug-08 11:44:04

You could try painting everything with that nailbiter's solution, but other than that I think you just have to accept that children can and do wreck the nice things they have.

pinkspottywellies Sun 10-Aug-08 11:49:41

Thanks! I suppose I know things will get wrecked but it's such an annoying habit. She's already biting skin off her feet and DH said he used to get so disappointed when he realised he'd ruined something but wasn't even aware he was chewing it at the time.

pinkspottywellies Sun 10-Aug-08 19:19:23

Grr she's just started chewing a thread out of the sleeve of her brand new cardigan this afternoon. I can see her going through school jumpers on a weekly basis!

MannyMoeAndJack Sun 10-Aug-08 20:39:32

Your dd sounds as though she enjoys exploring things with her mouth....you could try buying her some 'chewy tubes' to direct her chewing and to protect her/your belongings? (just google chewy tubes to get some links)

pinkspottywellies Sun 10-Aug-08 20:55:36

Thanks Manny. I might try something like that.

HereComeTheGirls Sun 10-Aug-08 20:59:41

I feel your pain..my 21 month old DD is also very very chewy, its hard to get things out of her mouth, she grips onto them with her teeth like a puppy!!!!

It makes her very drooly so she has to wear two bibs at once! I think she is getting her molars at the moment though, could this be the case with your DD too?

pinkspottywellies Sun 10-Aug-08 21:11:40

I have wondered about teething but she doesn't seem to want to chew at the back of her mouth just with her front teeth. I suppose it still might be molars though.

I was quite upset this morning (I say quite upset, I am pg so things might be out of proportion!) because dh had bought her a set of books out of his birthday money (which is quite a big thing for him to do, cause we don't have much spare money for ourselves and he likes his computer games!) and she ruined the bit of one of the books where all the corners spell out the name of the character.

Anyway, I don't think she'll stop. She's so like dh and he still does it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now