Talk

Advanced search

How many HV assessments has your DC had, at what ages, and whereabouts do you live please?

(24 Posts)
Twinklemegan Sat 09-Aug-08 23:29:20

I'm particularly interested in answers from Scotland, but anywhere else as well. smile

I ask because my DS hasn't had an assessment since - well I recently said 8 months - but actually it was 6 months. And I think this is perfectly crap tbh. The HVs up here are even more useless than the ones in England and won't even return phone calls. Should I be expecting any interest at all in DS? He's just 2.

AvenaLife Sat 09-Aug-08 23:31:01

ds had one assessment at 8 months. We heard nothing else from them, not even an appointment for an eye test. We are in Derby. It's pathetic. He's 9 now. I've not seen mine since ds was 1.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 09-Aug-08 23:32:18

england (cambs)
ds1 (now 5.10) had them at 8mp, 2yo and pre-school
ds2 (2.6) had one at 8mo, they no longer do a 2yo one here.

MrsNutkin Sat 09-Aug-08 23:34:02

Im in central scotland and I was told they scrapping the 8month check and just to go see them if I have any issues/problems. Only really see them for immunisations.

pinkteddy Sat 09-Aug-08 23:34:36

Well the hv service is supposed to be until they start school so yes! I was lucky with dd I got several checks under 1 and then a 2 year old test. But I know they have dropped nearly all the development checks in this area now. We live in London.

AvenaLife Sat 09-Aug-08 23:37:03

hv's are supposto look after everyone in a family, regardless of age. You are supposto be able to utilise them whenever you want. They don't tell you this though. I only found out whilst working with one for 6 weeks during a HV placement.

DillyTanty Sat 09-Aug-08 23:37:12

haven't had any, i'm in scotland. they see us at immunisations adn came round for a weaning talk at, er, 3 and a half mos... hmm

Twinklemegan Sat 09-Aug-08 23:38:24

So it's pretty variable then. We're currently sharing a HV with another area as our one retired and hasn't been replaced. I should imagine they've dropped all the checks in this area as a result. Thanks for your help. TBH, I'm not concerned as DS goes to nursery twice a week and I've more faith in them than I'll ever have in a HV.

DillyTanty Sat 09-Aug-08 23:42:05

we have plenty of HVs, tbh. it's a policy at our surgery, they pretty much say that they want to help the people who need help rather than pester people who don't need the contact. they feel that immunisations etc and the open clinics do the job for the most part, and i'm inclined to agree with them.

pinkteddy Sat 09-Aug-08 23:44:12

Well yes avenalife that's true but in practice hardly any hvs do this. Some PCTs have hvs in older people's teams working with frail elderly people but most concentrate solely on under 5s. From the looks of it they are mainly concentrating on new borns these days!

AvenaLife Sat 09-Aug-08 23:48:27

Yes. The ones I worked with had most of their time taken up with child protection families and clinics. I've never met any that work with older families despite being told that they are supposto. It's a shame that the elderly and those with older families miss out. They can be quite useful if they know their stuff.

PinkTulips Sat 09-Aug-08 23:57:56

dd- 6 weeks, 3 months, 14 months, 2 years, 3 years (done at 3.4) (she also had alot of non standard ones after about 22 months due to food intolerances but those were the regual ones given by the PHNs)

ds- 6 weeks, 3 months, 8 months, 2 years (done at 1.10) he had another at 1 year, but i don't think this counts as it was when we moved and the PHN came round to meet us but she didn't assess him or weigh him, just chatted to us. i also had to ask for the 2 year one when they rang to arrange dd's 3 year one as they seemed to have forgotton about him.

we live in the west of ireland. they are supposed to have ones at 6 weeks, 3 months, 9 months, 15 months, 2 years, 2.5 years and 3 years but the health service is overrun so they get as many as the PHNs can squeeze them in for.

MintChocAddict Sun 10-Aug-08 00:01:49

Scotland here too. No development checks done on DS despite him being born at 33 wks! hmm. He's now 20 months. First HV to see him arrived two weeks after we got him home from special care. She visited once more and only other contact has been immunisations.

PinkTulips Sun 10-Aug-08 00:06:23

the PHNs also deal with home wound dressings for people who'v had surgery or otherwise need nursing care but don't need to be in hospital, not sure if they do much with the elderly although i think one did visit my grandmother near the end of her life to bring her meds and make sure all was well.

one came on easter sunday to dress my sils wounds and had other patients that day too.

when ds failed the hearing test at the 9 month check they were very quick to bring him back for a repeat and the one who saw dd at 2 years was the one who helped us deal with the hospital for her referals and got us into the community dieticians clinic, neither of which she was obliged to deal with on our behalf.

Finona Sun 10-Aug-08 00:08:32

we're in NE Scotland - DD is 2 and she had a 6 month check up and a 2 year review when they checked speech, motor skills etc. I seem to remember DS (4) getting more 'formal' check ups from HVs. I'm not bothered as I don't like my current HV and probably because DD's no 2, I don't think I panic so much about stuff.

TheCrackFox Sun 10-Aug-08 00:38:41

In Edinburgh - and DS2 is 3.5 months and the last checks he had was at 6wks. I am shocked - the last time he saw a doc was for his MMR jab and that was at 13months.

DS1 had checks and 6 wks, 8 months, 2yrs, 3yrs and 4yrs. They have all been scrapped to save money. (HVs words, not mine)

Seona1973 Sun 10-Aug-08 12:38:24

dd (4) had one at 6 weeks, a hearing check at 8 months and a development check at 2

ds (22 months) had one at 6 weeks and that is it - we dont get an 8 month or a 2 year one here any more. He did get a newborn hearing test.

I am in north lanarkshire in Scotland

west3 Mon 11-Aug-08 10:18:52

I'm in NHS Tayside area and they are currently phasing in development checks at 8wks and pre-school only. Immunisations as usual at 8,12 & 16 wks, MMR at 13mths. Each child is put into one of three bandings dependent on circumstances - family, social and medical etc. If you are in either of the upper bands you will get more input but an "average" child (is there such a thing?) will only be assessed twice before starting school if parents don't make contact or request input. That's my understanding of it as I had to argue the case as DS has to wear glasses and they were going to class him as requiring additional support!!

Twinklemegan Wed 13-Aug-08 22:53:28

Thanks everyone. That's reassured me that we probably haven't fallen down a gap - it must be the same for everyone around here.

prettybird Wed 13-Aug-08 23:19:47

I think ds' checks were same as Seona1973's dd's - he's 7.

Did you know that HVs in Scotland are going to be moved out of GP practices and into the Social Work structure?

weeonion Wed 13-Aug-08 23:24:43

glasgow here!
My HV was great but i had PND so she was more involved because of that. in terms of formal assessment re development & DD however - she hasnt had 1 at all. now 15mths and only really sees HV for jabs.

meandmyjoe Thu 14-Aug-08 11:09:34

I live in Lincolnshire so no where near Scotland I'm afraid!

We had an assessment at 6 weeks.

Another at 6-8 months just to check he could sit up and reach for toys/ bear weight on his legs and ask how weaning was going.

Another at 12 months just to see how he was developing and whether he could crawl/ babble/ cruise.

He is due to have another assessment at 2 years and then another just before he starts school so they seem to keep a pretty close eye on us here!

It's still crap though cos we don't have a particular HV. There are just different teams based all over the town in different districts and you get assigned to your local team where there are about 8 Health Visitors so I never see the same one twice.

mamadiva Thu 14-Aug-08 11:15:08

I'm in the Highlands and DS is 2.2YO, he had one assessment at 1year as far as I can remember. Bloody useless up this end I must say!

Twinklemegan Thu 14-Aug-08 22:29:58

Mamadiva - have I met you on the meet-up thread? My DS is only a couple of months younger than yours. We're near Inverness - where are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now