Talk

Advanced search

Do any cat lovers have any tips on introducing my new arrival?

(9 Posts)
claudib Sat 09-Aug-08 22:24:41

I have a very loyal, needy and devoted Siamese -these are characteristics i like in a cat- and am a little concerned about how he will be affected by our new baby's arrival.
Does anyone have any tips/ things to watch out for..?

by the way I adore my cat so i'd prefer positive comments thanks!!

No matter how much you love your moggy, when your baby arrives, he will most definitely be second best!

Tbh I don't think it's so much an issue with cats as it is with dogs, as dogs can be jealous and can get nasty if they are usurped! I'm sure your cat will be fine, just as long as he can still snuggle up to you while you cuddle your baby.

DisplacementActivity Sat 09-Aug-08 22:34:47

Message withdrawn

DisplacementActivity Sat 09-Aug-08 22:35:18

Message withdrawn

Oh, I know, my friend had them when I was growing up. They're such characters and so LOUD! grin I'd love one but our house is unsuitable for keeping pets. (no garden/catflap)

SalLikesCoffee Sat 09-Aug-08 22:43:33

I have no idea if Siamese should be treated differently, but one of the midwives in the hospital suggested taking a blanket with baby's smell (I was in hospital for a couple of days) home to the cats to get used to.

However, on arrival home the crying seemed to scare the cats senseless, so they kept a low profile whenever ds was in the room in those early weeks. They're more interested in him now (4 months), but not jealous, more "nosy".

DisplacementActivity Sat 09-Aug-08 22:45:28

Message withdrawn

shellye Sun 10-Aug-08 08:53:07

I had 5 cats when I had my DD. I remember them coming to have a look at her on the first night then they kept their distance. I had cat covers for cot and pram but never really used them. I never shut a cat in the same room as her. They did like an empty cot if I wasn't careful!! I shouldn't worry, your cat and baby will be fine if you are sensible. Give some quality time to your cat when you can. Mine used to line up for attention after DD in bed.

Acinonyx Sun 10-Aug-08 09:17:00

I have 2 cats. One of them was fond of sleeping in her empty cot so I put tin foil in it (when dd was not there!) and that stopped that habit completely. They did get in with her occaisionally but after being relentlessly chased off they gave up.

They did get a bit jealous. Even now (dd's 3) as soon as she's gone to bed they push between us and clamber about on the sofa for their missed attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now