Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At what age do you start tummy time?

(14 Posts)
emmabu Sat 09-Aug-08 21:35:18

Hi

Can't remember from first time around, but now have 11 week dd2 and not done any tummy time- when do you start? Should I have started by now? Keep forgetting to do it. Any advice gratefully received!

laura325630 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:41:05

I put dd on her tummy yesterday to see what she did! She 8 weeks and was trying to move!

I think its when you dc can hold their head up. I am going to do it for a few minutes a day to prevent her getting a 'flat head'.

turtle23 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:44:57

You can start whenever you like, but they cope with it better when they can lift their heads a it. Even if it's just half a minute a day it makes a difference.My DS was a freak child and was pushing himself up to look around at 2 weeks. Unfortunately, he now sleeps on his tummy (19 wks)...shh dont tell the HV.(Dont worry he rolls and can nearly crawl...)

tori32 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:53:38

I do it when my dd1 isn't around to trample on dd2 LOL! DD2 is 4mths but prefers walking to tummy although I did tummy time from about 8wks. Like turtle23 said, when they can hold their head up for a few mins.

<<waves to turtle smile>>

turtle23 Sat 09-Aug-08 21:55:31

Hi tori!!! You on facebook? Need a chat to someone...

gagarin Sat 09-Aug-08 21:58:44

from birth

pudding25 Sat 09-Aug-08 22:29:57

We did it from about 1 wk. She is now 13 wks and still doesnt really like it but it is meant to be really good for their development.

Trafficcone Sat 09-Aug-08 22:37:07

Omg, is having a baby nowadays like some bloody curriculum? 'start tummy time' ????? Sometimes you put the baby on it's tummy, sometimes on it's back, sometimes you dangle in on your knees..
I'm sure all of mine were at some point put on my bed on their tums when they were less than a week old, esp if they looked as if their tummies were a bit gripey.

chipmonkey Sat 09-Aug-08 23:46:48

The paediatrician recommended tummy time for ds4 as she said he had a flat head ( at 8 weeks) Thing is though, he has really sticky-up hair and when I flattened it down, his head looked nice and round. So I don't bother much with tummy time as he hates it!

Can you tell he's my fourth?grin

juuule Sun 10-Aug-08 09:30:06

Never did 'tummy time' with any of mine.
They did it themselves, I suppose, when they could roll over onto their frontshmm

I'm with trafficone on this one. Always think it's odd when people ask about how and when to 'tummy time'. I did do the laying on tummy across my knee to ease stomach gripes but no specific 'tummy time'.

emmabu Sun 10-Aug-08 13:28:06

Thanks everyone

Sorry trafficone and juuule that my question may have seemed odd or i gave the impression that i think having a baby is 'like some bloody cirriculum', it was just a question from a tired, forgetful and harrassed second time mum trying to do her best.

juuule Sun 10-Aug-08 13:53:59

Emmabu I didn't mean you personally. It's just that when I had my first dc, 'tummy time' was never mentioned. I started hearing about off other new mums when I had my later children. No hp ever mentioned it. So perhaps you can see what I mean when I say I find it a little strange. And then for people to be asking "when should I start it?" or seeming to think that it's a problem they didn't start earlier or 'on time'. All seems quite odd.
I was just generally commenting and can see what trafficone's comments of curriculum. Not aimed at you just prompted by your post and a clumsy way of letting you know not to worry about it

solo Sun 10-Aug-08 13:57:53

Wasn't 'tummy time' brought in because of babies not being put on the tummies to sleep and therefore getting flat heads?
My two have always slept on their fronts, so I didn't worry about 'tummy time' per se.

MKG Sun 10-Aug-08 14:01:51

At birth. Any time spent on their tummy is considered tummy time. So sleeping on their tummy while lying on my chest counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now