Talk

Advanced search

My 3 year old daughter has made me feel so ashamed of myself .

(12 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 19:51:17

We were in the car the other day and we drove past a very overweight man without a top on. My husband noticed and said "good grief look at him". I said to my husband that he looks pregnant and has bigger boobs than me etc. We were having a giggle when my daughter shouted out "It's not funny!!"
I said "what's not funny?", and she said "It's not nice to laugh at people". blush I felt awful, because she is absoluitly right. What sort of lesson is she learning listening to us?
I didn't know she was taking any of it in. She's only 3 and has a speech disorder so it's easy to forget how much she understands.
She has certainly taught me a lesson. I explained that she is right and it's not nice and that Mummy has been very naughty. She said "are you sorry?" I said "yes, very" and she said "that o.k then, big kiss".
Honestly, it takes a 3 year old to really make you think about your own behaviour.
I am just so proud of her for standing up for what she knows is right.

nickytwotimes Sat 09-Aug-08 19:53:42

Well, at least you've taught her that it isn't nice to laugh at people. smile

I do this all the time. It's so easy in the car. sad

OldGregg Sat 09-Aug-08 19:58:04

<applauds your DDs moral stand> smile

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 19:58:32

Thanks nickytwotimes, I'm glad to know it's notjust us that do that.
I won't be doing that again though. (at least not when she's in the car) grin

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 20:04:56

Thanks OldGregg, she's a star. smile

batters Sat 09-Aug-08 20:13:54

Your dd is right .

And I speak as someone who used to be very very overweight and had to put up with horrid comments from strangers constantly.

batters Sat 09-Aug-08 20:13:57

Your dd is right .

And I speak as someone who used to be very very overweight and had to put up with horrid comments from strangers constantly.

barnsleybelle Sat 09-Aug-08 20:17:13

What a little superstar... bless her heart.

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 20:22:29

batters- I am very sorry, I would never have said anything that he would've heard. My Mum is very over weight and we laugh together about it. (she is amazingly confident) I'd never want to hurt anyones feelings.
My daughter puts me to shame really.

ilovemydog Sat 09-Aug-08 20:22:50

and lovely that you admitted being in the wrong! smile

HonoriaGlossop Sat 09-Aug-08 20:41:02

yes your DD was lovely, good for her - and good for you, too as you reacted so well; it's so good for kids to see that we can make mistakes and be sorry, too.

Your dd does sound a little gem smile

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 20:53:13

HonoriaGlossop- Thank you, I think we both learned a lesson that day.
She is a little gem and so caring and loving. I am a very lucky mummy really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now