Talk

Advanced search

When did your toddler drop their nap in the day

(24 Posts)
TJ1976 Sat 09-Aug-08 13:57:59

My ds is 2.9 and has always slept for 2 hrs in the afternoon after lunch. I've always had trouble waking him up! Lately he wants to miss the nap and go through to bedtime. We have a long day and he's up at 7am and we're always out n about each morning. When I've allowed him to miss the nap and we're at home for the afternoon he does get very tired and only wants to watch TV all afternoon (not happy about that!) but he wants to lie on the sofa and chill out and is tired of playing. I've managed to get him back to the normal routine without too much hassle (not sure for how long!) and he is so much calmer & happier when he's had a sleep. So I was thinking what age did your toddler stop sleeping in the day?!

ChasingSquirrels Sat 09-Aug-08 13:58:33

2y3m - both of them

CarGirl Sat 09-Aug-08 13:59:01

They were all different, the youngest was 24 months the eldest about 3- 3.4 I think.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 09-Aug-08 13:59:33

both dc's I mean, nboth naps

posieflump Sat 09-Aug-08 13:59:42

2.5 for ds

dd is still having hers at 23 months

Helsbels4 Sat 09-Aug-08 14:03:24

My DD is 3.4 and still loves her nap! She gets so grouchy without it and I've noticed that she doesn't go to sleep at night much earlier when she hasn't had it. I'm happy all the time that she's happy to nap wink

moosemama Sat 09-Aug-08 14:11:51

Had to wean both mine off 2hr afternoon naps in the summer holidays before they started school full time, so 4.4 for both of them! shock

They have both gone to bed at 7 every night with no bedtime problems and don't wake before 7.30 am. I know I have been an incredibly lucky Mummy and am feeling very nervous that number 3 could be very different when he/she arrives in January!

I think all children are different regarding how much sleep they need, my two were horrendous if they didn't get their naps, but none of my sisters three kids ever napped after about the age of 2.

lou031205 Sat 09-Aug-08 15:10:28

My 2.8 year old doesn't know it's an option <<shhhh>>.

christywhisty Sat 09-Aug-08 15:12:36

DD was 18 months, DS was about 3.

bogie Sat 09-Aug-08 15:13:03

ds has just inthe last couple of weeks started dropping it he is 2.7

amidaiwish Sat 09-Aug-08 15:16:16

DD2 is 3 in October and i am actively stopping her nap because she is getting more and more difficult to put to bed at night.

She will sleep if i let her... having to keep her very busy mid-afternoon and no trips in car or buggy.

bubblagirl Sat 09-Aug-08 15:22:35

my ds dropped naps at 1 but if tired or bit unwell will nap but very rare he is 3.2 but he goes to bed earlier so at least i get evening to myself earlier he will go down about 6 sometimes puts himself to bed before that

smugmumofboys Sat 09-Aug-08 15:27:33

DS1 at 2.1 - ie about month after DS2 was born. hmm DS2 at about 3 and a half. He's just turned four and occasionally nods off in the afternoon. (He takes after DH!)

firststeps Sat 09-Aug-08 19:47:31

DS1 just dropped his nap in the last couple of weeks - he is 2.8 - I really miss it grin, however he is shattered around 4pm and will nod off if we are out and about in the car - just refuses to sleep in his cot at lunchtime anymore.

nickytwotimes Sat 09-Aug-08 19:50:04

Just before his second birthday.
It was like somone flicked a switch.

God, I miss the hour...

bythepowerofgreyskull Sat 09-Aug-08 19:52:07

2.6 yr I miss them even now - he is 4!!!!!!!!!
DS2 thankfully still sleeps for 2 hours in the afternoon he is 22 months.

Bluestocking Sat 09-Aug-08 19:55:27

DS finally stopped napping at nursery (Mon - Thurs) at about 3.6, but often has a nap on weekend days - he's 4.5.

mylittlemonsters Sat 09-Aug-08 19:57:08

Mine is just starting to drop her 1 hour lunch nap and she is 3yrs 1 month

jafina Sat 09-Aug-08 19:59:31

3yrs 2months for my twin boys. And they went down much better at night as a result.

You might find that your ds could manage on a nap every other day, this worked for 2 friends of mine...........

JentlyDoesIt Sat 09-Aug-08 20:15:01

DS dropped his naps about a month ago at 20 months! He will sleep in the car if we are out at the weekends and if he is grouchy I let him have an hour but it is only about once a week

Kewcumber Sat 09-Aug-08 20:17:57

my is a similar age to yours (2.8) and is the process of droppingone - nap one day not the next. If he naps though he often can;t sleep until 9pm and he's usually up at 6am! I think he needs to drop it but some days he's jus too tired so I'm hoping to switch it to every other day now.

barnsleybelle Sat 09-Aug-08 20:35:02

Ds was about 3.4 when i dropped his nap. I only dropped it because although he went to sleep at night at his usual 7pm he started early morning waking. I reduced it gradually by 20 mins every few days so it wasn't such a huge change. I did have to start an earlier bedtime at 6.30pm for a couple of weeks when his nap had gone altogether, but i crept it back up to 7pm by 10mins every few nights. The early morning waking went away. I think it was harder for me as i missed my feet up and the paper every afternoon!!!

simpson Sat 09-Aug-08 21:21:00

Ds was 21 mths and gave up nap around the time I found out I was pg with DD so could have done with the rest!!

bergentulip Sat 09-Aug-08 21:34:40

3.3yrs. He's just dropping them now.

In the inbetween phase at the mo, where he won't sleep at 7pm if he does nap after lunch, and is a horror all afternoon if he doesn't..... catch 22, I think the phrase is.

Or, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now