Talk

Advanced search

Could this explain ds's language development (late to start talking in sentences but definitely caught up)?

(7 Posts)
alvinandthechupmunks Fri 08-Aug-08 18:09:32

Ds was a bit slow to get talking compared to most - at 2 he couldn't put two words together and had about 45 words.

By just turned 3 he speaks in massive sentences (e.g. today "I don't want to talk about those people as I find it a little bit boring") and uses big words like extremely, wondering etc.

I find it really strange and wondered if it could be because I never modified my language to talk in simpler sentences like you're supposed to?

Just curious - anyone else had similar where their child's speech developed like this and could this be the reason?

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 18:11:43

no I think kids just speak as and when they're ready

I didn't tend to modify my language I don't think .. but I s'pose I did like most people have a bit of baby talk on occasion

DS first word at 10 months, sentences by 18 months

DD not a word till 2 years 2 months, then straight into fully formed sentences

both have extremely strong verbal skills

alvinandthechipmunks Fri 08-Aug-08 18:13:33

That must have been so weird with your dd - sounds even more extreme than ds as he did speak a bit before the sentences came just not in the mainly linear development way most kids seem to.

What do you think causes this - it's like some switch goes on in their brains isn't it.

Interesting then that it's not what I did - I used tothink it was my fault his speech was slow coming!

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 18:16:19

I think it's a bit like reading progression too though .. it's non linear .. it is a switch that flicks and then plateuas and then flicks again (speech and reading IMO)

Twiglett Fri 08-Aug-08 18:21:53

plateau

lulumama Fri 08-Aug-08 18:25:50

agree with twig, have never moderated my language and DD did not speak until 2.5 , and DS spoke at 18 months or so.

alvinandthechipmunks Fri 08-Aug-08 19:03:56

ah well that buggers my theory then!
Anyway I'm just glad I don't have to worry anymore about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now