Talk

Advanced search

DS1 is doing my head in this week... I dont know how to discipline him....how do you discipline a 'naughty' 2 year old?

(4 Posts)
2point4kids Fri 08-Aug-08 13:13:36

He is nearly 3 years old and I know at his age he will be testing boundaries a lot. Thats what 2 year old boys do!
Most of the time we muddle along ok but sometimes he just seems to want to provoke me all the time and I dont know how to deal with it.

I can manage the normal 2 year old behaviour like not wanting a bath because he is busy playing, fighting with his brother, wanting ice cream instead of dinner etc.

What I cant manage is when he walks past me in the hall, looks at me with a glint in his eye and then purposely pulls the washing out of my hands and throws it on the floor.
When he looks at me and tips his cup up so water goes on the floor.
When he rammed the end of his pear in the hoover attachment (I wouldnt mind if he'd done it in a 'ooh i wonder what happens if this goes in here' way, but it was done in a provoking way)
Today I took him to a toddler group this morning and he wanted to go, loves it there, but refused point blank to get in his car seat. Went rigid as a board and just kept shouting 'NO' at me when I was trying to get him in the car.

I have tried the naughty step. It works for some things, but not really when he is in a delibertately being naughty mood.

Dont know what else to do sad

lilymolly Fri 08-Aug-08 14:59:52

my dd sometimes looks at me with a certain defient look in her eye.....
last week she deliperatley tipped her milk out of her cup over the floor.
I went ballistic shouted at her really loudly and she cried.
I knew then I had got through to her.
They are testing their boundries to see how far they can push you.

Probably the best thing to do in hindsight is to ignore the behaviour but its easier said than done

With regard to the toddler group if it were me I would have asked him "do you want to go"
he either says yes or no.
if no, then go back home (I know its hard!!)
at least then he learns the consequences of his decisions, if yes then say well you cant go until you nicely get of the car seat.

StormInanEcup Fri 08-Aug-08 15:03:38

Message withdrawn

lilymolly Fri 08-Aug-08 15:13:56

"it must have been so much simpler when you could just beat them"

grin made me laugh!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now