Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Constant talking wearing me down

(13 Posts)
summer01 Fri 08-Aug-08 12:16:42

My 3 year old does not stop talking. It starts from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to bed and quite frankly its wearing me down. I know I should be pleased she can communicate so well but sometimes I'd do anything for silence. The questions and talking just dont stop and I am losing patience knowing how to respond to her every minute of every day. I've tried ignoring her when shes talking, talking talking but of course she, understandably, wants me to respond! Maybe I'm just being a miserable cow, and this is perfectly normal!

beansprout Fri 08-Aug-08 12:18:32

You have my full sympathy!! It's hard going when it's that full on.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 08-Aug-08 12:19:25

I understand the feeling. DS is 4.8 and DD is 2.10 and they both talk all the time. And although it is sometimes to each other it is often to me.

DD is also in a "why" phase which I think might drive me mad.

I think it is just a normal thing

christywhisty Fri 08-Aug-08 12:52:34

I've got a 10 and 12 year old and it's still the same, they never stop and constantly ask questions, and at their age a lot of them I can't answer without looking them up.

Sassafrass Fri 08-Aug-08 18:15:09

My sincere sympathies. You might want to practise the hmmm sound and yes dear and oh really... I find that my dd is happy as long as she gets some kind of response and after a couple of hours it's all I can muster.

charchargabor Fri 08-Aug-08 19:00:22

My 3 year old DSD is like this. She doesn't stop asking questions and babbling on all day. I manage to act interested for about half the day, and then there's a lot of 'hmmm'-ing and 'yes dear'-ing! I dread when my 1 year old gets to that age, then I'll have 2 of them! I thought that she'd grow out of it eventually, but from this thread I'm guessing not. smile

SazzyMCH Fri 08-Aug-08 21:00:16

Thank goodness I'm not alone! My 3 year old ds is the same. I work in Sainsburys and at work today - after we'd been in shopping a few days before - all I got was "does he always talk that much?" - ER- YEP!

squeaver Fri 08-Aug-08 21:03:36

Oh it's hard. Dd is 3.8 and I've had it since she was 2. You do learn to tune it out though. And when you do want to have a conversation it's lovely.

Fennel Fri 08-Aug-08 21:09:21

My dd2 was this, it used to drive me crazy. I can't bear people just constantly talking at me. She did grow out of it, aged about 5 she learnt to think with her mouth shut. She's still very talkative, aged nearly 7 - recent comments on her personality have been things like "overwhelming", "bossy", "confident" "won't need assertiveness training". But the incessant talking has got better.

Also learning to read helped. She could find out some of the answers for herself.

my 4yo dd3 is getting very similarly talkative now, I do find it quite hard. I know it's a non-problem in the grand scheme of things but it makes me want to scream.

mashedbanana Fri 08-Aug-08 22:05:11

my dd is 3.5 and talks non stop from waking to sleeping infact she even talks in her sleep.i do find the constant 'why'draining.

laura325630 Fri 08-Aug-08 22:46:44

Put her in front of a mirror!! She can talk to herself all day long wink

Portofino Fri 08-Aug-08 23:01:07

My dd who is 4.5 keeps up a running commentary from whn she gets yp til when she goes to bed. Drives me crazy!

cleversprout Fri 08-Aug-08 23:01:17

Indeed. I now have 3 dc all yacking all day long.

Example from today:

dd1(7): Mummeeeeeee, can we sort out all of our old things and have a car boot sale? Can we do that now Mummy? Can we?

ds(5): Mummy, why do you have a red car? I'm hungry. Why do we have trains? Mummy!

dd2(2) Mummy! I got poopy nappy! Poopy nappy! I got poopy nappy! Mummy!

All at the same time.

And it goes on and on. I'm sure they must be more talkative than most. It's defintely the most exhausting part of parenting for me. I absolutely crave head space just to think my own thoughts. I have discovered that if I "pop" to the loo (for 20 mins or so!) they do eventually stop talking to me through the locked door. Eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now