Talk

Advanced search

Teaching dd 18mo to share toys - ideas needed

(5 Posts)
Sunflower100 Fri 08-Aug-08 08:33:29

dd is 18months and if she is or has been playing with a toy and another dc picks it up to play with she goes into full on diva screaming mode! She's normally pretty easy going and doesn't (yet) take toys from others but its the high drama if someone takes something she perceives as hers (usually they aren't her toys!) that I find difficult to handle
Any ideas how to teach her to share? I try to ignore her but find it hard.

mamadiva Fri 08-Aug-08 08:39:03

My DS is 2.1YO and does this I can't get him to stop it either I reckon it's just down to the nature of your child LOL.

Sunflower100 Fri 08-Aug-08 09:17:08

Its infuriating isn't it!!!

deaconblue Fri 08-Aug-08 11:14:28

I have agonised over this wiht ds 2 and a bit. My advice is don't worry, they are all rubbish at sharing and will continue to be until they are about 3. I'm just waiting, muttering "this too shall pass" when he clonks someone.

herbgarden Fri 08-Aug-08 20:50:08

Once you can reason with her a bit more (prob 2 upwards) you might find that you can explain a bit more even if they then chuck themselves on the floor and head butt it - at least you know at that point that they've understood even if they don't like what you've told them. DS is much better at it now (2.2) and even if his initial reaction is "MINE!!" after you tell him to share he often passes something over and then immediately says "MY turn again mummy"....thinking he can have it back again grin-it's a battle ! I find it funny now as they all do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now