Talk

Advanced search

Is my daughter old enough to learn an instrument ??

(14 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:37:33

My daughter is 3.5 years old, and absolutly loves music. She sits through whole musicals and since she was a baby she seemed to be entranced by some classical music. Her music teacher at nursery has commented on how she loves teaching her and she say's that she has amazing pitch and rythem.
She has a box of instruments, and we have little music sessions at home where we put on a CD and sing, dance and bash tamborines etc. She loves it. I just wondered wether she was too young to start to learn an instrument like piano or violin. She is quite a quiet little girl but seems to come to life when she hears music. she has a fantastic memory and can remenber whole songs. She has a severe speech disorder and I think she likes the idea of expressing herself in other ways. smile

differentID Thu 07-Aug-08 21:41:02

Can you see if there is anyone locally who would take her on at 3? Maybe not piano, she won't have enough power in her fingers to manage the keys but violin might be a good idea.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 07-Aug-08 21:41:24

I wouldn't rush into formal learning tbh - if you wanted to do something, then try recorder - you can get a book and do it together at home. As soon as you start 'formal' lessons then there is a practice requirement, and at age 3.5 I think this can be hard - it would be a shame for her to lose her love of music because she didn't want to do her practice. But with the recorder at home you can go at her pace.

Ds1 started violin at age 5, piano at age 6, and he is enjoying both. Dd is starting cello in September, she was 5 this week, so I think 5 is probably the earliest I would recommend (I teach piano).

Keep her enjoying it though! If she wants to experiment on the piano, you can encourage that, and she may surprise you by playing by ear. I didn't start piano till I was 7, but started recorder at 3, which meant I could read music fluently when I started piano, and I also used to work out my recorder tunes on the electronic organ my dad had, which gave me a good start when I did start piano.

MrsBates Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:17

If she's interested and excited by music she's ready. Some children aren't ready at any age - it's not their thing. If she loves it go for it. Not sure which instrument though - little Japanese kids start violin at 3 (generalising I know) - young anyway.

Sounds as though you are having fun doing music with her at home so build on it in whatever way she enjoys.

Do you know that poem with the lines "We are the music makers, we are the dreamers dreams..."

thisisyesterday Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:25

I think it'd be a great idea, don't think she is too young at all.
I know a very talented little boy who began playing the cello at 3 and he is just stupendous to listen to now

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:43

She may be too young for piano as her fingers can't span more than about 2 keys.

MrsBates Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:51

dreamers OF dreams

thisisyesterday Thu 07-Aug-08 21:43:44

keeping on the cello theme, google cello babies- they (as they name suggests) run classes for small children.

there is a violin one too and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. actually it's Suzuki i think?

differentID Thu 07-Aug-08 21:44:28

Yes, it's Suzuki method.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:44:44

I could find out if there is.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 07-Aug-08 21:45:11

I'm not a fan of Suzuki - it doesn't really teach reading music, and can turn out 'musical robots'.

nellyup Thu 07-Aug-08 21:48:39

There's a book called 'The Right Instrument for your child' which shows you how to match up instruments with your child's personality (and recommends recorder until about 8). I think the author's name is Atarah Ben-Tovim (sp?)

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:50:40

Thanks everyone. I'll look in to those for her. She has a recorder and likes to blow in to it in time to the music, she won't let me teach her though. She says IT'S MINE. She dosn't like me interfearing.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:53:39

She has a key board from elc which she loves. I could do a simple tune and see if she can coppy. I could start of easy and build it up. She might enjoy that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now