Talk

Advanced search

Goldfish for a 3 year old ???

(22 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:01:11

I am thinking of buying a goldfish for my 3.5 year old daughters play room.
I'll let her feed it (supervised of corse). I think she'd like that, it'll give her a sense of responsibility.
If anyone has any advice or tips I'd be very greatful. Thanks. smile

Overmydeadbody Thu 07-Aug-08 20:01:47

It's an extra thing you'll have to clean.

lulumama Thu 07-Aug-08 20:02:16

yes, she will lose interest within the week...

AvenaLife Thu 07-Aug-08 20:03:16

I like goldfish, ds had 2 but I ended up doing all the looking after. They are not very ineractive for children, they get bored easily as the fish don't do anything. They make a good start though.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:04:36

I had a golfish and I really liked it. I was very upset when it died apparently.
When hers dies, I'll just replace it so she dosn't know. wink

FabioFridgeFluffFrenzy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:04:55

Be prepared to explain why fishy is floating sideways and lifeless at somepoint, which is why I don't think you should push the responsibility bit.

lulumama Thu 07-Aug-08 20:09:54

we bought some for DS when he was 3. he is almost 9 and they are still going, and he pays them no attention and hs not doen for years.. DD does not bother either

get a cyber pet

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:10:08

I'll tell her it's asleep. I'll then rush out to buy a replacement.

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:12:07

I don't mind if she's not that bothered with them. I would like to have some. I find them really relaxing.

lilymolly Thu 07-Aug-08 20:15:44

we got 2 a few weeks ago on a bit of a whim
dd (2.7)loved them for about 24 hours

One died - the other stunk so much it was liberated into friends pond at the weekend.

Seriously if you dont clean the tank every other day it honks and when you have hyperemeis and are literally gagging at any smell it is vile

DONT DO IT........

mummyloveslucy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:27:44

I too had hyperemesis with my daughter. I was in hospital for 4 days.
This is why I will NEVER put myself throught that EVER again.
You have my sympathy. I hope all goes well. smile

SazzyMCH Fri 08-Aug-08 21:02:18

Why is everyone so against the idea???? I think it's a great idea - and being slightly harsh, it's a very gentle (if that's the right word!) way of introducing them to death.

EustaciaVye Fri 08-Aug-08 21:29:47

I got my DD1 2 gold fish for her 2nd birthday. She loved them. I cleaned them weekly. They lasted over 2 years. One died and the other last about 6 more months. It all went wrong when I added new fish to the tank so now we dont keep any

As long as you are prepared to clean the tank regularly then go for it

lisa34 Fri 08-Aug-08 22:13:49

I got a fish (Nemo) for my DS for his 2nd birthday - he's now 8 and it's still going strong. I have the tank on the kitchen side and find it relaxing watching him swimming around whilst i'm cooking. If you get a tank with a filter and pump you'll only have to clean it out once a month. Just make sure the tank if not in direct sunlight as that encourages the algae to grow grin

Troutpout Fri 08-Aug-08 22:37:40

We've got 2 which we've had for about 2 years
Everyone likes them..they come and swim up to the glass when they think they are going to be fed. Both kids still fight to feed them.
They are rather beautiful actually.. big and floaty .I like them much more than i thought i would.They are just so easy
I hardly ever clean them out (do a big clean about twice a year and small ones about once every 6 weeks)
They don't really get very dirty tbh and have never noticed a smell.
We have a tank with a filter and pump

jammydodger Fri 08-Aug-08 22:42:41

We got four fish for our boys a couple of months ago. One died after a week, and we told ds1 that it had gone for a sleep in the pirateship (ornament in tank),,I then replaced that one with an identical one, which again died after a week hmm, so now we have three. Once you get the gravel syphon filter, pump, electric filter, sponge algae remover and various bottles of chemicals to add to the water, that tends to keep them alive, as we've now worked out - (sadly a bit too late for Freddie 1 and Freddie 2.). grin

bookswapper Fri 08-Aug-08 22:46:24

we got three
one died last week
ds (2.5) hasnt noticed yet

if they hadnt been liberated from being decorations (in goldfish bowls on tables at a wedding) we wouldnt have bothered

SazzyMCH Sat 09-Aug-08 07:17:06

What a weird (and somewhat daft?) thing to have as a wedding table decoration!

bookswapper Sat 09-Aug-08 08:00:41

apparently its the latest thing hmm
father of the bride ended up with 16 fish!

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 15:39:11

I asked her "if you had a little fish, what would you call him?" she had a little think and then said "Piglet".
I laughed and said "that's a funny name for a fish", she laughed too and said "I know".
I would like to have two and call them Charlie and Lola. She loves Charlie and Lola, so she might go for that. smile

SazzyMCH Sat 09-Aug-08 16:46:57

I would call mine Bombay and Sapphire!

mummyloveslucy Sat 09-Aug-08 16:48:36

grin I'd like to call mine Birdseye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now