Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for activities to do with 9 month old when it is raining all day every day!

(8 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Wed 06-Aug-08 22:01:40

Hi, I have a 9 month old DS and I'm just looking for some more ideas for things to do round the house when the weather is so bad. He is really content most of the time and can usually play with his toys for 15-20 mins himself at a time. I try to do lots with him and he has a good variety of things, eg he has a treasure basket (which he LOVES), toys you can sit at and spin & stack, stacking cups, rattles, musical instruments etc. We also try to read a few books each day and he watches 'In the Night Garden' while I get my shower in the morning but not usually any other TV in a day. I try to give him lots of one to one play, 'Humpty Dumpty' rhymes etc and bouncing him around.

I like to get out and about with him and he loves to meet people, go round the shops etc but the credit crunch is hitting us hard and being out in t'country with 30 mile round trip to the nearest decent place is making it harder to get out as much. We live in a village and we go for long walks when the weather is decent but there's also only so many times you can walk up and down the same road!

So I'm just looking for more ideas on what we can do when we are at home. Any help is much appreciated! BTW he is still immobile so anything involving movement might not work. Thanks!

laura325630 Wed 06-Aug-08 22:04:57

Saucepans with a wooden spoon! My cousin used to love this when I looked after him, he must have been around the same age. Also, a small paddling pool with those coloured balls you can get - Hours of fun x

Thankyouandgoodnight Wed 06-Aug-08 22:34:08

bowl full of bubbles made from washing up liquid (no water) and a spoon / containers.

bowl full of half set jelly

ILikeYourSleeves Thu 07-Aug-08 12:12:40

Thanks for the above suggestions....any more from anyone???

zuzkah Thu 07-Aug-08 12:26:35

I have a 8 months old and Im planning to do hand/feet painting. Have no idea how it will go but if you are breave enough and possibly have a garden...give it a go!

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 07-Aug-08 19:42:19

you could actually do all messy activites in the empty bath - very easy to clean up!!

do you have a paper shredder? they like 'cooking' with shredded paper and a wooden spoon!

dairymoo Fri 08-Aug-08 09:18:16

I am having the same prob with my 11mo DTs. Read through some old threads yesterday and there were suggestions like putting cold baked beans on his highchair tray for him to play with and maybe eat, ditto with cooked spaghetti, etc. MY DCs loved playing with a magazine that I tore up for them yesterday - they amazed me by not actually trying to eat it - which is what happens with most other new 'toys'!!

Another fave is pulling all my socks out of a cardboard box and then putting them back again. 'Painting' with ripe raspberries....

Erm, all of these are quite messy but good fun! grin

josiemacy Fri 08-Aug-08 09:28:42

Dancing around the room to music (with babe in arms) - baby finds this hilarious & keeps mum fit, too!

The magazines work well for my 8mth old, too - flicks pages, screws them up, tosses them about etc for ages! Make sure that they are not ones you want to read!

'playing football' with a soft ball - hold baby up with his feet on the ball & get him to 'kick' it, or roll ball along the floor towards baby & encourage them to kick or bash it back - my girl finds this fun!

Lay him on the floor & blow bubbles from a wand around him & over his head - my girl loves this & laughs when they pop on her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now