Talk

Advanced search

What to do when DS (18mo) throws his lunch on the floor?

(11 Posts)
MegBusset Wed 06-Aug-08 11:47:22

DS normally has a lunch of bagel followed by cheese and fruit. The last couple of days he has thrown the bagel on the floor and refused to eat it. Yesterday I gave him the cheese and fruit anyway but today I have simply got him down from the high chair as soon as he threw all the bagel on the floor.

He normally has a small snack after his nap. Am I doing the right thing to offer the bagel again after lunch and not offer anything else if he refuses it? Or is he too young for this and should I keep offering alternatives til he eats something? Don't want him to go hungry but the throwing food on the floor is driving me nuts.

KnickersOnMaHead Wed 06-Aug-08 11:53:27

Message withdrawn

KnickersOnMaHead Wed 06-Aug-08 11:53:54

Message withdrawn

MegBusset Wed 06-Aug-08 11:58:02

Thanks, I will offer it again after lunch then. I find it so frustrating, he's always been hard to feed but lately it's getting near impossible!

wotulookinat Wed 06-Aug-08 12:07:11

Try giving him something else instead tomorrow.
If my son (21mnths) throws his dinner on the floor, then that's it gone. He won't starve because if was really, really hungry then he'd have eaten it.
But maybe your son is bored of the same lunch each day.

MegBusset Wed 06-Aug-08 12:35:30

Hmm, maybe it is boredom. Trouble is, he is a fussy bugger and I've found it hard to find things that he will eat. He won't eat a hot meal at lunchtime and normally seems quite happy to nibble at bread/cheese/fruit at lunchtime.

ronshar Wed 06-Aug-08 12:39:16

Try a crumpet or different types of bread. Something different every day. It might be he needs a bit of curiosity about his food to get his attention. IYKWIM.
Do not give it back, as already said start as you mean to go on.
Good luck.

Mercy Wed 06-Aug-08 12:41:04

It's quite normal to do this ime.

I would just tell him not to do it - I wouldn't withhold food though.

Seona1973 Wed 06-Aug-08 12:41:24

we have sandwiches or toast or sometimes pancakes or wraps. Maybe he is just fed up of bagel. I personally wouldnt offer it again after lunch and would give the usual snack.

MegBusset Wed 06-Aug-08 12:43:38

Crumpets and pancakes are good ideas. Sadly he won't touch any sandwich filling other than cheese but maybe I will get some Red Leicester for a change!

MegBusset Wed 06-Aug-08 14:14:22

He has just got up from his nap and demolished a plate of breadsticks and cheese

So maybe I will try giving him his lunch after his nap, maybe he's just not hungry enough beforehand!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now