Talk

Advanced search

Backwards writing - should I praise or correct?

(6 Posts)
ksld Wed 06-Aug-08 10:39:44

DS (nearly 4) wrote some numbers off his own back yesterday - to my great surprise as didn't know he could do this. I was delighted and praised him and told him how wonderful it was - BUT they were all back to front writing, and the 10 was 01. I know it is normal to write backwards having searched on here, but wondered if I should be correcting it (ie showing him how they should look - not marking it with a big red pen!) or just keep on praising. I don't want to put him off, but don't know if praising it will be helping him get it wrong once he's at school. Like holding the pencil wrong which he still does, and is resistant to change - is this going to make it more difficult once he's at school?

hanaflower Wed 06-Aug-08 10:41:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minouminou Wed 06-Aug-08 11:38:44

agree with hanaflower
if you think that some cultures read from right to left, it's not "set in stone", or hardwired for humans to go from left to right, so to his mind, he's doing it right...he'll suss it out
if you're worrying about dyslexia...don't...this is not an indicator at this age

batdog Fri 08-Aug-08 21:13:05

Leonardo da Vinci wrote backwards from childhood and he's considered a genius!

jojo76 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:20:46

Is he left handed? I am, and I wrote lots of things back to front when I started to write....don't now though smile
maybe you could write with him, and do yours the right way, and then he might just start to copy how you do it?

EustaciaVye Fri 08-Aug-08 21:23:20

DD did perfect mirror writing when she was learning to writer letters and numbers, still does sometimes. Just praise him for the detail, I would tell him it is facing a different way to standard though, otherise how will he know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now