Talk

Advanced search

kiddy rides in shop doorways ~ help!

(12 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Aug-08 20:41:48

My ds is 2.9. He hates the noise of these blummin' things if we put money in, but likes to sit on them and play. However, because there is no natural 'end' to it, i have a constant problem getting him off them. He isn't a massive thrombie thrower generally, but this is guaranteed to do it every time. I'm a very rare naughty step user, but have the threat of something much later when we get home has no effect in the here and now. Can you help? I do sometimes just whip him past them and say 'not today' but can't do that every time. Would really like to be able let him play on them occasionally without a great massive scene at the end? is it possible?

gingerninja Mon 04-Aug-08 20:44:55

A bribe usually works with my DD! There is only one shop near me that has one of these and we don't go to it often so it's not that big a deal to bribe her with a sweet. Anything for an easy life me.

thisisyesterday Mon 04-Aug-08 20:47:54

you cold try showing him your watch and say he can play on it until the big hand gets to the number whatever?

Or, set an alarm on your mobile? and he has that long to play?

dandycandyjellybean Mon 04-Aug-08 20:48:04

thanks gingerninja, it's not a daily occurrance here either, but when it happens it drives me nuts. will try the sweet thing, but have tried it with other things with less success, he's a living in the pleasure of the moment kind of a guy! maybe it's a 'man' thing!

gingerninja Mon 04-Aug-08 20:49:47

Ah, perhaps it works because DD is generally only given sweeties as a bribe [terrible mother]. A polo works a treat but you have to make sure they don't see the whole packet!

Overmydeadbody Mon 04-Aug-08 20:52:15

Just give him a time scale. Before he gets on, say "ok play on it for 5 minutes then we have to go shopping/home" and when the time is nearly up warn him that he's nearly finished so it doesn't come as a shock to him, then when you want him to come off just say "ok time's up, let's go", wait for a few seconds and then start walking off. He'll soon follow you.

hairtwiddler Mon 04-Aug-08 21:20:15

DD loves those too, and until recently didn't know you could put money in them. Then a well meaning passer by (who looked at my like I was a tight arse who was neglecting my child) put some money in and she was delighted. I'm now hoping she hasn't realised that cash makes them more exciting!

In answer to your problem, I think a countdown might work. Ie. We're going to go in a few minutes, then 'just a little bit more playing then we have to go and do X', then 'ok darling, time up'. This usually works quite well with dd any time we're leaving anywhere.

onwardandupward Mon 04-Aug-08 21:53:28

Here's an idea.

Set aside a week or so where these machines are the focal point of the day.

Each day, in your mind, tell yourself that the point of today's expedition is to play on one of those machines. Take a good book with you, or a magazine. Be a devil. Pick up a latte on the way.

Go to the machine. No coins, just have it available. Don't prompt to leave, just be there and wait till they've had enough. Enjoy your book.

I predict less than an hour.

How long would you have spent at the playground? More than an hour, right?

Really let your child get every ounce of enjoyment out of these machines for as long as they want as often as they want. Within a week or two, they'll be popping on for 5 minutes max, because the excitement will be gone. I guarantee. Been there, done that.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 04-Aug-08 21:54:36

tell him if he doesn't get off you will put a coin in and start the noise?

PortBlacksandResident Mon 04-Aug-08 22:03:52

Tell him "Oh Dear, i think it's about to get going and start moving" Then grab him as if in a dramatic rescue attempt.

Worth a try!

dandycandyjellybean Tue 05-Aug-08 09:51:13

like it onward....will pack my deckchair and a picnic and camp outside mothercare for the morning.....!!!!!hehehehee

onwardandupward Tue 05-Aug-08 10:31:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now