Talk

Advanced search

stuttering

(5 Posts)
loopylou6 Mon 04-Aug-08 11:04:24

dd (4) has started stuttering, its not all the time, but i have noticed that when it does happen it seems to be getting worse, i dont mention it to her at all as i dont want to draw attention to it, but what do i do? have phoned HV and she will call back today at some point, anyone got any experiance?

mumblechum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:37:05

My ds developed a stutter a few years ago which comes and goes, depending on the situation.

I'm a very fast talker and found that when I slow down, he stutters less in response, as if I'm giving him time to speak.

Agree don't make a big deal of it, because your dd is only 4 she'll probably grow out of it.

loopylou6 Mon 04-Aug-08 15:00:38

thanks mc

gladders Mon 04-Aug-08 15:54:14

hi - ds (now nearly 4) developed a stutter last summer - came on really badly really quickly. he got v frustrated through it.

Speech therapist friend advised to just listen to him and encourage non-verbally - don;t intervene/try and guess what he's saying... I also found that when he was getting tense. a little physical reassurance like rubbing his shoulder. holding his hand sometimes helped.

it went after about a month.

it has recently resurfaced a little bit - adopting same approach.

think it's to do with them having so many ideas they can't verbalise it quickly enough?

loopylou6 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:24:06

that makes sense, thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now