Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all those of you with 8 month olds.....

(16 Posts)
Camilla35 Fri 11-Feb-05 00:07:05

Can he/she

press buttons on a toy?

reach out for something?

object if a toy is taken away?

clap hands?

wave bye bye?

look from person to person to see what is going on?

turn pages of a book?

Is it also reasonable to expect a boy to be slower with their development? I have some concerns.

Gwenick Fri 11-Feb-05 00:14:39

OK my DS is 14 months

'sometimes' waves bye bye - but not always, and only learned about 2 months ago

sort of turns pages of a book - not particularly well though

he only really started at toys being taken away a while back too

fredtbad Fri 11-Feb-05 00:33:43

I feel the skills you are describing would be quite advanced for an 8 mo, so if your ds is not doing those below, i really wouldn't worry too much
for instance wave bye-bye is quite complex and usually appears around 12mo.
clap hands imitation around 9mo.
Main thing to bear in mind is that children do develop certain groups of skills at different times, they rarely seem to develop gross motor and fine motor exactly.

What are your concerns?

Camilla35 Fri 11-Feb-05 00:49:41

My main concern is his lack of interest in toys - cannot press buttons, etc and he just sits for ages "staring"

Gwenick Fri 11-Feb-05 00:53:59

my DS1 was quite like that just used to sit and watch.........you wouldn't have thought it now though aged 4yrs! Into EVERYTHING

fredtbad Fri 11-Feb-05 00:58:41

what are his gross motor skills like?

Camilla35 Fri 11-Feb-05 00:59:58

He's sitting but not trying to crawl yet.

Gwenick Fri 11-Feb-05 01:02:10

camilla - DS1 didn't crawl AT ALL, and only learned to roll over at 11 months , started cruising furniture at around 11 months - but didn't walk until he was nearly 18 months. (DS2 was crawling at 7 months and walking at 10 )

They're ALL different, so try not to worry too much

Camilla35 Fri 11-Feb-05 01:05:35

thanks Gwenick. He just seems very laid back and it worries me. Surely he should be more interested in toys?

Gwenick Fri 11-Feb-05 01:07:17

If you're really worried about it go and see your HV.

But my DS1 really wasn't interested in toys - he was more interested in sitting and watching the world go by - he started nursery in September in his 'observation' got an incredibly high 'score' for his involvement level. Some children are just like that - they sit and absorb it all, and just are you really ARE starting panic they suddenly do it.

fredtbad Fri 11-Feb-05 01:08:29

Okay
Is he rolling? leaning forward to grasp toy without falling over? Can he turn to look sideways to grasp at a toy on the floor?
Socially, throwing a hissy fit when thwarted is par for the course at his age! They also get quite clingy if I remember right, around now.

Anything else?

fredtbad Fri 11-Feb-05 01:13:04

I agree with Gwenick, if you're at all concerned about him, go and see a HP. Some babies don't crawl at all. The worrying never stops does it?

Camilla35 Fri 11-Feb-05 01:20:49

He doesn't seem to notice if a toy is taken and it is hard to show him something.

fredtbad Fri 11-Feb-05 01:22:19

Will he have a 9 mo check with the HV?

bobbybob Fri 11-Feb-05 03:01:12

Here is what my ds could do from your list at 8 months:

press buttons on a toy? Yes

reach out for something? Sometimes

object if a toy is taken away? No, he is placid. Still doesn't mind. Complement him on this skill, and you will have a toddler everyone wants.

clap hands? Not until nearer a year, and then only if my mum was here (!)

wave bye bye? No and still has to be reminded to wave when he says the words at nearly 2.

look from person to person to see what is going on? He looked wherever interested him, not from person to person

turn pages of a book? yes, board books.

He didn't crawl until 12 months and walked at 16 months. He also didn't use a sippy cup until his 1st birthday and could feed himself finger food at 13 months (which has got to be very late). He has totally caught up now, so please don't worry too much.

ghosty Fri 11-Feb-05 03:47:12

In answer to your list, this is what DD could do ... (she is 12 months old now)

press buttons on a toy? Not until about 10 months

reach out for something? Yes

object if a toy is taken away? Only really at about 10 months

clap hands? Yes

wave bye bye? No ... still doesn't at 12 months

look from person to person to see what is going on? Um, don't think so, she only seems to be doing that now ...

turn pages of a book? Not at 8 months, started doing that at around 10/11 months

DS was much quicker at all of this stuff and was crawling at 10 months and cruising furniture at 12 and walking at 14.
DD is making NO effort to crawl, she bumshuffles and is only just beginning (last week) to pull herself onto her knees when holding on to furniture. She is only just beginning to bear weight on her legs when we hold her in a standing position.
At 8 months she seemed really far behind all her little peers as they were all crawling and into everything and she just sat quietly and looked around her. She is making up for it now and has right temper and cheeky sense of humour.
I was worried but then we saw a paediatrician about something else (her skin) and he said, totally unprompted, how refreshing it was to see such a happy, healthy baby who was developing normally as he spends a lot of his time with children with problems. So I stopped worrying ....
All children develop at different rates, I think the mistake many of us make is comparing our babies with others of the same age and what the books tell us our babies should do.
If you are worried Camilla, take your little boy to the HV but I think it is more likely he is just doing things at his own pace ...
HTH ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now