Talk

Advanced search

How do I get him out of overnight nappies

(15 Posts)
headzookeeper Sun 03-Aug-08 19:17:07

My ds2 is 4.5 years and is still in pull ups overnight. When he goes to sleep he sleeps like a log and will not wake up even when you try and wake him. I know for a fact he would have a sopping wet bed and wouldn't even notice it just grunt and turn over.
ds1 took longer than him to be dry during day but overnight was a breeze. Although he would wake up if I so much as breathed too heavy in his room.
How do I get the little darling out of pull ups, feel like he will be in em till he is 10.

biglips Sun 03-Aug-08 19:21:17

well sounds like he is not ready yet as once he hit 7 and still in pull ups..then thats a bit of a worry.

my SD was in her pull ups till she was 6.5 yrs old. My DD stopped using her pullups since she was 3.6 yrs old. Every child is different.

Do you give him drinks late?

roisin Sun 03-Aug-08 20:11:15

Yes, it sounds like he's just not ready.
Despite being day-dry at 24 months, Ds1 was almost 5yrs before night-time, and he went from sodden wet to bone dry literally overnight. (He has a cast-iron bladder now grin

With ds2 I was more relaxed about it, and he was actually much older, I think 6.5 or nearly 7, before he suddenly cracked it.

headzookeeper Sun 03-Aug-08 20:12:35

not really he has a drink with tea usually and thats it. he has started waking up sometimes in the night sobbing for a drink, and i mean howling like its the end of the world. Which he takes two mouthfulls of at most. I have tried to get him to go to the toilet then but he just stands there almost asleep upright and cries that he cant go and then drops straight back off to sleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. I know all kids differ as ds3 has already shown signs of wanting to start at 2. Just was getting concerned he was getting a bit old prob due to mil and my mum saying he should be out of them by now shouldn't he.

roisin Sun 03-Aug-08 20:45:32

mil and mum are great aren't they grin

I would explain to him (in the daytime) that he is not going to get a drink in the night, so there's no point asking for one.

Tbh I wouldn't bother with trying to get him to go to the loo in the night, as it won't necessarily help, and is a lot of hassle.

Yorkiegirl Sun 03-Aug-08 20:50:52

Message withdrawn

Poppycake Sun 03-Aug-08 20:54:30

My dd is just over 4 and still wears nighttime pull ups. She has got out of the habit of pooing overnight now, but it's still wet in the morning - tho just the last week or so I've been hearing her go off to the loo around 11pm, so maybe her brain is beginning to hear her bladder in the night!

tbh, I don't think it's anyone else's business what they wears at nighttime. the HV told me that's it's only after 7 that they start to check for probs = before that it's just normal.

Rosieglow Sun 03-Aug-08 21:32:19

You ds sounds alot like mine. He's 5.8 and nowhere near being dry at night. In the morning his nappy is soaked through and has often leaked. Even if he's hardly drunk the day before. He somehow just produces loads of wee at night. Apparently there is some hormone that controls this and some kids just don't start producing enough of it for ages. He also sleeps really deeply (can fall out of bed and carry on sleeping).

It's taken so long to get him dry in the day (still not 100% there) that I can't face doing anything about nights. I'm just hoping that it'll sort itself out.

So don't worry - your not alone!

Rosieglow Sun 03-Aug-08 21:33:20

You're not alone (in case anyone from pedant's corner is watching) smile

Roboshua Sun 03-Aug-08 21:44:37

Don't worry. My DS1 was also about 6.5 before he was dry at night and was out of pullups. He sleeps like a log. I was starting to worry but read somewhere that you only needed to see your gp if they were about 7 and still wetting the bed.

DS2 was dry at night at 3.5 but is a much lighter sleeper.

unfitmother Sun 03-Aug-08 21:50:49

He's not ready, enuresis clinics don't intervene before 6. A hormone called vasopressin slows down diuresis overnight and this happens at varying ages.
DS is 11 but is not dry yet, he doesn't wear pull-ups and takes a synthetic form of vasopressin but no joy yet.

funnypeculiar Sun 03-Aug-08 21:56:55

ds is also 4.5 and still in nappies - he's keen to ditch them, but is only dry in the mornings about 1 day in 150 smile I'm just going with nappies for the moment.

His sister has just daytime potty trained (2 weeks in) & has already had 2 dry nighttime nappies - suspect she'll be out of nappies well before he is....

headzookeeper Sun 03-Aug-08 22:33:43

thanks for that glad I'm not the only one. ye rosie mines like that hits the deck and keeps sleeping,we just hear the thud and go up to find him laying there. tbh id rather have him comfy and dry overnight than have to wash the sheets daily and have him wet and sore coz he slept in it all night. suspect my ds3 will be out of nappies before him. but ds2 such a laid back kid (life passes him by in a blur)grin that he wouldn't care if he was 10 and still in nappies overnight. Now that would be something for mil n mum to talk about.wink

mummyov2 Mon 04-Aug-08 06:01:28

wow. really glad i read this..was getting worried about my 4.4yr old son.. because he still wears a pull up at night etc.. yet manages to use the toilet etc during the day.
but by the sounds of it... its normal.. phew! grin he took his pullup off a few nights ago.. (well checked on him about 11pm and no nappy) and he hadnt had any accidents or anything when he got up..so wondering whether i should just stop puttin one on him

kitbit Mon 04-Aug-08 08:10:42

Apparently it's a hormonal thing too - we create a hormone at night which slows down the production of urine. That's why we don't all have to get up as many times in the night as we do during the day. Little people don't have this hormone, and combined with night time drinks/feeds and bedtime drinks, this equals obviously wet nappies.

So it's a combination of being mentally ready to lose the nappies and making this hormone. ds is 3.5, and although he has a big bedtime drink he's all of a sudden been dry at night for about 2 months now. He still asks for his night nappies (why not? they make him happy for the time being and bedtimes are interesting enough at the moment without adding another change!) but I am guessing that soon enough he won't need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now