Talk

Advanced search

How many times do you check on 6 month old baby when sleeping?

(13 Posts)
whatwoulddollydo Sun 03-Aug-08 05:09:48

Hello Everyone. This isn't really a problem - more of a curiosity. I have a six month old and when he is sleeping in the day I check on him probably every 30 minutes or so (he sleeps from around 11pm-7am when I am asleep when obviously don't check on him). My DP thinks that I am insane to check on him so much when I am awake but I kind of assumed that this was normal. But now I am wondering if it is. Your experiences much appreciated! Thxs

ILovePudding Sun 03-Aug-08 06:47:04

I used to check on dd if she seemed to be sleeping for longer than usual. I was always worried that i'd disturb her if i happened to check on her when she was in a lighter stage of sleep.

I totally understand that feeling though of wanting to keep an eye on your lo.

mananny Sun 03-Aug-08 07:17:40

When I nanny for littl'uns of that age I check every 30-45 mins during the daytime sleeps. And if I'm doing an overnight and I have the monitor I generally wake/half wake hourly just to hear them, then if they awake and are crying/stirring I will check on them and feed/change as necessary. Unless the parents requested, I wouldn't disturb their sleep unnecessarily. Babies of that age are generally settling into their own routine of sorts.

moocowme Sun 03-Aug-08 12:29:24

constantly but then we live in a one bedroom flat so Ds is not far away. also i am training him to have longer naps and sleep with some shush/pat so i like to do this when he starts to stir if he has not had a long enough sleep.

MuffinMclay Sun 03-Aug-08 12:33:51

I'd check on ds2 (almost 6 months) if I'm walking by his room, otherwise I don't bother unless he seems to have been asleep for an unusually long time (2 hours plus).

wulfstan Sun 03-Aug-08 14:33:26

erm I'm obviously a neglectful mummy.

I check on mine when he cries. And not otherwise. I usually pop my head round the kids' bedroom door before I go to bed myself, to rearrange their covers etc but otherwise don't see the point.

whatwoulddollydo Mon 04-Aug-08 01:46:41

Thanks everyone for your responses..I guess everyone has their own way and glad to know that I am not alone in my constant checking (or come to that neither is DP with his).

Ambi Mon 04-Aug-08 01:51:43

like wulfstan only go to when cries or obvious playing sounds. Though she naps downstairs in her travel cot during the day, and the few occasions she's upstairs in her cot we have the video monitor on her so we can check without disturbing.

CvQ Mon 04-Aug-08 01:53:14

im very jealous about the 11-7 sleepingenvy
mine is still up<sigh>

i check on mine every half hour if im not with him whilst he sleeps.

Wade Mon 04-Aug-08 11:47:11

Can't walk past her room without checking. I'll probably still be doing it when she's 13...

whatwoulddollydo Mon 04-Aug-08 23:37:25

Good luck CvQ on the sleeping...we haven't been there for long but now we are I don't know myself! <oh dear now tempts fate by being faintly smug>

ilovemydog Mon 04-Aug-08 23:59:14

wow - he sleeps from 11:00 - 07:00 envy

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 02:01:39

i never check when i go to bed unless i have been out and then sometimes i check cos i've missed him.

only check if he's been sleeping unusually long (3.5 hours+)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now