Talk

Advanced search

Help! my DD only wants her Granny

(6 Posts)
charx Sun 03-Aug-08 00:58:26

So we are staying far from home with my mother for most of the summer to avoid house renovation chaos, summer in London (sorry) and to potty train where there is some space & garden.

My DD (2.8) loves her Granny and its all very sweet but now she wont let me do ANYTHING. She wants her Granny to do it. (Put in/take out of high chair, put in car seat, do bathtime, carry her etc).

The potty training is going poorly as only her granny can put her on the potty, she'll only tell her granny when she needs it - and if i try to help a kicking paddy-whack ensues! (not to mention accidents). I've tried to play it calm, my mother has got cross with her and told her that I have to help too and that she can't do everything (she can't and was really unwell recently)
But it's been 2 weeks already - what do i do?

(Sorry for long post!!)

gigglewitch Sun 03-Aug-08 01:09:07

can only sympathise, my DD is just the same at Granny's house, where DG is in charge and Mummy is pretty much invisible. Funny thing is, the minute we get home (Granny's local) Mum and Dad are back in charge hmm. It seems with our three that whoever owns the house is in charge...
would consider ditching the potty training til you get home and get your routine back? if she asks <grany> to go for a wee then go with it, but otherwise I have to say i'd scrap the idea for now, to give you all a break.

charx Sun 03-Aug-08 11:18:36

oh no!! we're up here for 3 months!

TracksuitLover Sun 03-Aug-08 20:57:21

Ouch!!! I would really hate that.

charx Tue 05-Aug-08 00:06:19

now she has started screaming (and I mean SCREAMING) when we put her down for a nap or at bedtime. She's always gone to bed giggling (I know, don't hate me, I'm very lucky). The screaming is, predictably, 'I want my Granny' etc etc and then at the end it's mummy where are you and heaps of negotiations, like I want to cuddle/kiss/sleep in granny's/mummy's bed and it goes on and on.
Its not like she's unfamiliar with this house - as we spend a lot of time up here as DH is often abroad working - and she is waking up in the middle of the night wanting cuddles, a tissue, water (and no matter what I put in her cot I can't seem to preempt everything!)

RachelG Tue 05-Aug-08 09:44:37

I have a slightly similar situation.

My parents (well, Mum and Stepdad to be precise) look after my DS 2 days a week while I'm at work. They live a long way away, so they come and stay at my house from Sunday night to Wednesday morning. I work long hours on Mon and Tues, so I'm not at home much. But the time that I am there, I don't get a look in. DS wants Gran and Grandad to do everything - bath, bed, teeth, food, play, TV etc. When I leave for work and try to give DS a goodbye hug, he runs away screaming "No Mummy, I want Gran and Grandad!" It makes me feel really sad actually. However, when they go, he's my little boy again, wanting cuddles and attention from me. My parents have been doing this since I returned to work when he was 8 months old - he's nearly 3 now - so it's not as if they're a novelty for him.

I don't have any helpful advice I'm afraid. But it seems likely that if you're there for 3 months, things will settle down.

All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now