Talk

Advanced search

Help , what can I do about wee soaked start-rites ??

(46 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 19:49:16

Well the hedding says it all really.
My daughter is 3.5 and potty training (not with a great deal of sucess). We diched the day nappies 6 months ago. Every time she has an accident it soaks in to her shoes.
She has only had these start-rite classic shoes for 3 weeks and already they smell like a public toilet.
I'd be realy greatful for any tips or advice. Thanks. smile

mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 20:08:46

Anyone ???

RubyRioja Sat 02-Aug-08 20:10:34

Ew
sodium bicarb to absorb smell?

mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 20:12:44

Thanks smile

mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 20:19:05

What about frabreeze anti bac? would that be o.k on leather ?

RubyRioja Sat 02-Aug-08 20:20:04

not fan of febrezze really only perfume imo.

I'd use anti bac spray or wipes then sod bicarb

Apparantly orange peel good for smelly shoes, so possibility?

mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 20:22:34

I think it might take a bit more than orange peel. grin wink
I'll try the anti bac spray then sod bicarb.

MsDemeanor Sat 02-Aug-08 20:24:32

Rinse them under the tap and wash with shampoo. Can't make 'em worse!

fourlittlefeet Sat 02-Aug-08 20:26:36

this may be a long shot, but you could look at pet odour remover products blush. Not suggesting your daughter is a pet!

mummyloveslucy Sat 02-Aug-08 21:09:58

Thanks everyone.smile

thehairybabysmum Sat 02-Aug-08 21:20:32

I would shove them in the washer or in a bowl mof soapy water. Not ideal but you cant trash them anymore than they already are.

Flufffy Sat 02-Aug-08 22:57:10

I googled and found this:
www.robharvey-environmental.co.uk/urine-remover.htm

I'm bored this evening.

charx Sun 03-Aug-08 00:48:02

I know this isn't particularly helpful - but how about ditching the startrites until she's better at it. I'm doing potty training with my DD now too - and I've bought crocs for the purpose as the only other shoes she has a sweet startrites too! Now its rinse and go - no matter how ugly they look, that can't be bad. If you search online you can pick them up for about £12 inc P&P. I think i got mine from minimoonsailors (prices vary on colour!)

Monty100 Sun 03-Aug-08 01:45:14

If they are now 'clean' cover them in vaseline?

mummyloveslucy Sun 03-Aug-08 14:22:01

charx- she has a pair of crocs. I want her to get the wear out of her start-rites too. As you know, they are not cheep. wink
I think once I've cleaned her start-rites, I might put a pull up on her when we go out. This seems to make no difference to her anyway.

LIZS Sun 03-Aug-08 18:48:40

poor thing When dd "fell" in a pond, while viewing a house, in her Startrites we put them in airing cupboard to dry , stuffed with newspaper. They kept their shapoe and didn't whiff Can you spray them throoughly with dilute fairy liquid or washing liquid and dry in same way ?

onwardandupward Sun 03-Aug-08 18:53:19

I'd put her back in nappies until she's ready to use the potty/loo, honestly. Must be a real bore for everyone having wee-soaked clothes and shoes to deal with all the time.

What's the hurry? When she's ready, she'll come out of nappies/pull ups and have an accident about once a year when she's so absorbed in something she just forgets to go.

noonki Sun 03-Aug-08 19:06:00

but she is 3.5 and if you have been doing it for 6 months don't go back to nappies!

sodium bicarb diluted in a cup with a splsh of white vinegar added is amazing - it gets rid of all smells, I use on the carpet/shoes/carseat for all smells

mummyloveslucy Sun 03-Aug-08 19:20:48

Thanks everyone. I am reluctant to put her back in nappies as we have been doing quite well and I don't want her to give up.
Also, she goes to nursery and they know how well she was doing with her training. If she goes back in sept in pull ups or wets herself all the time, they will think I havn't bothered keeping up their hard work.

LIZS Sun 03-Aug-08 19:51:30

but you aren't going to be able to stop her wetting herself if she isn't really physically ready. 6 months is a long time to not really be trained, the odd one or a temporary relapse due to a change in routine maybe, but regularly ? What nursery may think should n't be relevant.

mummyloveslucy Sun 03-Aug-08 20:07:29

I know it shouldn't be, but it is. It is starting to worry me as she's going in to a different class in sept with a stricter teacher. (she is lovely, but very firm).

LIZS Sun 03-Aug-08 20:24:07

Then I think it is even more pressing for you to establish whether she has any underlying physical problem that may be hindering her keeping dry. If you are getting stressed about it already then she will sense it too. Children her age do have accidents and the school should expect that occasionally but if there is more to it they need to be aware so that they can pick up any warning signs and prompt her to go or handle them discreetly and sympathetically.

mummyloveslucy Sun 03-Aug-08 20:36:07

You're right LIZS, thanks. I'll see her health visitor about it. smile

Poppycake Sun 03-Aug-08 20:38:28

hiya - some clarks shoes are properly washable (even tho they're leather) - tho I guess you'd have checked that already.

if any consolation, dd1 seemed to be a slow learner with potty learning, but is much better now (just over 4). She wasn't all that sold on potties (bit infra dig really!) and did much better when we just stuck with the big loo. Obviously she had to be tall enough! I did think she was never going to be dry for a while there!!

LIZS Sun 03-Aug-08 20:40:21

How good is your hv ? she may just fob you off so go with a list of your/nursery's specific concerns re coordination, toileting etc. Unless very clued up I'd suggest going via your SALT or GP for a referral to OT, or it might be a Community Paediatrician as a first step towards that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now