Talk

Advanced search

DS1 over 5.5 still doesn't roll ..... should I be worried?

(13 Posts)
TheGabster Fri 01-Aug-08 09:51:23

I mean, its not like he seems behind in any other way. He just does not roll. I say does not because he rolled at about 2.5 month on the changing table, once or twice, and never since. Its almost like he feels he has done it and is not interested now.

And don't get me wrong - I am not a pushy parent obsessing about him reaching his developmental milestones - but the woman at baby group this week behaved like it was a problem.

When I put him on his back/front he will shake a rattle or just waves his arms and legs maddly, but wont even roll onto his side to retrieve the toy when he drops it next to himself. I have started staying with him and trying to comfort him/encourage him when he cries/winges to move for it but he just throws a hissy fit. And of course then throws up (reflux baby <<rolls eyes to the heavens>>).

I dont want to make him do something if he does not feel ready (DH rolls him over but it just makes him cry).

Is it possible - do some babies miss out the rolling stage? He sits really well, is in the high chair already and is getting really kicky/pushing with his feet and legs.

Please help!!!

ephrinedaily Fri 01-Aug-08 09:55:00

I'm assuming 5.5 months??! Seriously, ignore the silly woman at the baby group. It is not a problem at all. Don't try to encourage / make him, especially if he's a reflux baby who doean't like being on his stomach. One day soon you'll find him rolling aroung in his cot. Or he'll roll off the bed like mine! Probly by the time he's 8/9 months he'll have done it. He sounds very advanced to me!

Ambi Fri 01-Aug-08 09:55:56

erm, DD is 7.5 and doesn't roll.

Miggsie Fri 01-Aug-08 10:03:14

DD did not roll until 9 months...she was behind for every baby milestone there was. She is now 4 and fit as a fiddle although she still has 2 teeth not come through, this does not affect her life in the slightest.

My friends baby rolled at 4 months and thus she had years of chasing small child around the house trying to prevent terrible incidents!...be grateful for late rolling, ditto walking!!!!

motherinferior Fri 01-Aug-08 10:04:39

DD1 took absolutely bloody ages about rolling/sitting/walking, the lot. She was still sitting on her bum when women from baby groups were showing off moaning about how their kids were running everywhere.

She's now seven and walks for miles.

LilRedWG Fri 01-Aug-08 10:04:48

DD rolled very infrequently and it is only now she is two that she will happily lie on her front to play. Ignore the stupid woman.

My ds, now 4, never rolled at all, and competely refused to ever spend any time on his tummy.

At 9 months he sat up and at 11 months went forward from sitting to crawl.

Don't give it another moments thought.

Btw I also got lots of flack, ablout my imobile ds, now I am getting told off because my dd at 5 months is crawling shock and so not gaining enough weight.

There really is no right or wrong, and its so annoying when hp's expect your baby to fit on some preditermined chart of expectations. hmm

TheGabster Fri 01-Aug-08 11:20:45

OOoh, thanks for the support guys. Love MN! Feeling much relieved now.

All totally right too, dont want to be chasing DS when already chasing around after 4yr old alsation who wants to play all the time. Mind you, maybe could put them in the pen together hmm?? (only joking). Once DS is mobilemind, I have a feeling dog will use pen to hide from him!

Ephrine - yes, the reflux was a problem for ages with him lying on his back too, and took us ages to get him used to it/happy with it which caused lots of problems at night time! Only just got rid of the tilt on his cot recently.

WTWTW - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I think this might be my DS - he loves to sit and keeps trying to on his own (of course totally incapable) and suspiciously (now I think about it) grabbs for the top bar of his pen as if to pull himself up so .....wink.

grin

samsonthecat Fri 01-Aug-08 14:00:45

Hi, don't worry. My DD2 is 14 months and can't roll. She can crawl and cruise but if you want her to stay put lie her on her back! I'm sure she will learn eventually.

Travellerintime Fri 01-Aug-08 20:55:49

Hi another example of lo who didn't roll - not mine, but my friend's ds. He didn't roll, and didn't really start cruising til about 13/14 months, didn't walk unaided til a while after this. He's 4 now, and totally agile and no problems.

thequietone Fri 01-Aug-08 21:00:07

Don't worry. Mym DS2 hates beign on his tummy and won't roll. He'd rather stand up all the time on my thighs. DS1 was the same - he missed out the whole crawling stage and went from sitting to walking. Ignore comparisons as some simply don't want to lie on their stomachs.

Chaotica Sat 02-Aug-08 09:19:07

Another late one: DS was 9m and still does it rarely. He's cruising at 10m though.

ILikeYourSleeves Sat 02-Aug-08 11:42:45

My DS is 9 months and has only ever rolled 4 times I think! He can sit unaided for ages (even up to an hour playing with toys) but doesn't roll or crawl yet. I know he'll get there in the end so I'm not too worried!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now