Talk

Advanced search

Relationship between crawling, cruising, pulling up and walking

(15 Posts)
needsomeanswers Thu 31-Jul-08 16:42:50

Hi,

DS2 is delayed but he is crawling, cruising, can get into and out of sitting, he pulls up, but is not yet taking independent steps (he's 20 months).

What is the relationship between crawling and walking, or even cruising and walking.

Do you think given he can do these things, he will eventually walk?

He doesn't yet have the balance to stand unsupported, but I have been told that walking will come first.

Any insights, greatly appreciated.

(am regular poster but have name changed)

tab1 Thu 31-Jul-08 16:45:52

my dd crawles at 8 months, cruised at 9 months and stood unaided at 12 months, has taken 1st steps alone at 13 months, they are all different and think it will happen when he is ready

Wade Thu 31-Jul-08 20:02:28

From what I've seen of friends babies and my own they are all different (sorry theres never a straight answer). One has been crawling for about 7 months (still not walking) another only crawled for about 2 months then walked, some don't crawl...

However if he can do these things and continues to make progress, I don't see why he wont eventually walk.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 31-Jul-08 20:05:02

DS1 crawled, cruised and then walked in the space of about two weeks. He was 10 months when he took his first steps. My friend's little girl didn't take a single step till she was two years old. They're all so different. Your DS will get there eventually. Don't stress about it.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:06

needsomeanswers..he sounds exactly like my DD, she is 21 months and doing the same things..we have been told she will definitely walk, and given the huge improvements she has made from not even being able to sit up or crawl I don't see why she would suddenly stop and not progress to walking!!

HereComeTheGirls Thu 31-Jul-08 20:07:36

I don't think you needed to name change btw, its nothing to be ashamed of, all children are different smile

MrsWB Fri 01-Aug-08 13:40:58

My DS is 16 months and has only just recently started to pull up to standing. He doesn't cruise and can't stand unsupported. I think once they can cruise they will eventually walk once they have gained the strength and balance.

Needsomeanswers - Am interested that you were told walking would come first as I had always assumed they had to be able to stand unassisted before they could walk. I can't see my DS standing unassisted for a while as he has to hold on a lot as it is.

Pinkjenny Fri 01-Aug-08 13:49:00

It took dd 3 months from cruising to take independent steps. She cruised pretty quickly after she pulled up though.

Crawled at 9mo, pulled up/cruised at 11mo, walked at 14mo.

I heard someone say that it's only something that needs to be checked if they are not walking independently by the time they are 2, so a little while to go yet.

DD stood unassisted before she walked, but only for a second before she'd fall down again. She seemed to find her balance through attempting to take steps, IYSWIM.

cmotdibbler Fri 01-Aug-08 13:54:00

Ds started cruising at 8 months, crawled at 12, and walked at 14.

My friends DTs (no delay)didn't do any moving until they were both 15 months, and walked at 21. But then their brother didn't walk until 18 months.

FeelingLucky Fri 01-Aug-08 13:54:53

I'm surprised you were told that walking would come before standing unassisted.
I'm no expert, but DD definitely stood before she walked, and she was properly standing for a good five minutes or so before sitting herself down again.

KnickersOnMaHead Fri 01-Aug-08 16:10:07

Message withdrawn

wornoutwaitress Fri 01-Aug-08 16:11:34

it took ds 11 months to go from crusing to walking.

witchandchips Fri 01-Aug-08 16:13:54

Ds did that weird straight leg crawl at 8 months and pulled himself up and started cruising the nextday. Everybody then told me. He'll be walking within the week, won't bother with crawling. Poo, started crawling properly soon after and was another 4 months before he started even attempting to walk. There is really no pattern to it any prediction that people make is like trying to guess the sex of a baby by the pregnancy bump or how sick + tired the mother is when she is carrying it.

mamadiva Fri 01-Aug-08 16:20:12

My DS started doing that commando crawl thing were he used his elbows to drag his legs behind him v.strange looking at 9months, started cruising at 11 months and walked just after his first birthday then learned to crawlhmm

zebedee1 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:22:28

DS pulled himself to standing at 10 months, crawled at 11 months, cruised at 12 mths, walked unaided at 13 months. Quite odd that he stood before he bothered to crawl (he was an expert bottom shuffler tho)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now