Talk

Advanced search

how old was your child when they learnt to kick?

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 31-Jul-08 15:26:20

should i be worried that at 2 ds can't do it yet?

RedHead81 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:28:00

kick what? football or you? wink

nappyaddict Thu 31-Jul-08 15:28:49

a ball lol.

RedHead81 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:32:15

have you tried showing him? (and wait til he has tantrums - he'll start kicking you then!)

maybe putting a ball in front of him when he is walking to encourage him to move it - may then progress to kicking? I don't think its anything to be concerned about though - maybe he's just not interested yet?

psychomum5 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:35:31

both my boys were kicking balls before they turned one, but that was with me or DH holding their fingers while they were walking and kicking IYGWIM.

I do know tho that once they were confident walkers they were kicking balls for all they were worth. hard too, as my broken vases can provehmm!

RedHead81 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:40:32

mine was the same too - kicking as soon as he could stand up, but my dh plays football, so was maybe influenced by this? - how is his balance? if you are worried though you could always mention it to your HV?

woodstock3 Sat 02-Aug-08 20:40:55

ds has kicked a ball from 13 months: we didn't try to teach him but he copied older children in the playground. however he has always been extremely interested in footballs , i think this is because we have a dog who chases them obssessively.
does your ds see other kids do it? and is he interested in playing with balls otherwise (picking up, throwing, etc?) if he isn't much into balls, he probably doesnt see much point in kicking...

llareggub Sat 02-Aug-08 20:44:33

Coincidentally, my mother has just told me that my nephew has finally started kicking a ball. He is 3 years old has has a football mad father who was starting to get very worried by his son's lack of interest.

nappyaddict Sun 03-Aug-08 14:12:17

ds loves balls. he is always picking them up, throwing them, rolling them. he kicks it accidentally if he is running in front of it iyswim but that's it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now