Talk

Advanced search

Remind me.... what does a 13 month old do/ play with ???

(13 Posts)
Legacy Wed 30-Jul-08 22:31:00

OK, sounds silly, I know, but we have a family member with a 12/13 month old coming to stay and I'm trying to dig out some old baby toys which will be suitable, as well as remove things and 'babyproof' the house a biut.

BUT I really can't remember what they're like at this age?? Apparently he isn't walking yet, and only just crawling, but I seem to remember that crawl/push up/ walk happens very quickly sometimes!

Would brio be too old?
Do they still play with rattly/ noisy/ VTECH etc type toys?
Have cot toys/mobiles etc gone at this age?
What else?

Legacy Wed 30-Jul-08 22:31:58

(Forgot to say, they're coming from overseas, so I haven't met the baby yet, to know what he's like - hence the question!)

penona Wed 30-Jul-08 22:36:10

Mine put everything in their mouths, so need to be safe for chewing on. Noisy things are good. they like to empty things so put all the toys in a basket or box or something. they crawl quickly and bump their heads all the time on table corners etc. Anything new is very interesting, even if a bit babyish. Mine also love being read to - nice colourful picture books.

What a nice friend you are getting prepared.

penona Wed 30-Jul-08 22:36:10

Mine put everything in their mouths, so need to be safe for chewing on. Noisy things are good. they like to empty things so put all the toys in a basket or box or something. they crawl quickly and bump their heads all the time on table corners etc. Anything new is very interesting, even if a bit babyish. Mine also love being read to - nice colourful picture books.

penona Wed 30-Jul-08 22:36:18

littone Wed 30-Jul-08 23:20:56

My DS of 13 months likes:

Stacking cups
Small cuddly toys he can pick up
Board books
chunky toy cars he can push along
Anything that makes a noise (this could be bottles with beans, rice in etc to shake!)
Playing peekabo!

He is not walking yet either and will pull himself up on things to get to anything that looks interesting!

littone Wed 30-Jul-08 23:23:10

..and to answer your questions ;-)

Brio would be too old for my DS
Yes to rattly nosiy vtech toys
Be careful with cot toys/mobiles. We had to remove our tomy lullaby thing as it had a light that projected a pattern on the ceiling. Once he could pull himself upright he could look directly into the light. Would say no to mobiles as well as will probably just want to grab and pull it and wont understand why he can't hold it!

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 30-Jul-08 23:25:00

Rattle bashy pokey things. Shape sorters. Boxes with holes in and plenty of things to post. Tough mirrors. Saucepan and wooden spoon. Shakers.

RuffleTheAnimal Wed 30-Jul-08 23:26:51

whatever is in front of them
the boxes things come in
whatever youre doing

bluenosesaint Wed 30-Jul-08 23:30:10

My dd is 12.5 months old

Would brio be too old? - yes

Do they still play with rattly/ noisy/ VTECH etc type toys? - YES!!

Have cot toys/mobiles etc gone at this age? - Yes, no mobiles. Dd would pull them straight off and be likely to get them wrapped around her

What else?
Dd puts everything and anything in her mouth so put all 'little' things well out of reach.
She has a real fascination at the mo with emptying cupboards, so only have 'safe' things in cupboards that can be reached.
Dd's favourite toys are anything that she can push about (she is walking but she loved to push things around throughout the cruising phase too)
Dd loves books! (she also loves ripping up paper hmm)
Oh, and theres no greater toy than a pan and spoon grin

Gotta agree with penona - you sound like a great friend smile

Olihan Wed 30-Jul-08 23:38:09

Yes to all your questions!

Anything you can put things in/take things out/put things in/ take things out/ put things in/ take things out........grin.

Or a small cupboard that can be open and shut/ put things in/take things out/ open and shut/ put things in/take things out/ open and shut/ put things in/take things out......(or maybe that was just my dcs hmm.

Babyproofing = moving anything that can be put into his mouth well out of reach!

penona Thu 31-Jul-08 09:05:59

Oh and things like remote control/skybox/stereo etc with little buttons to press endlessly on and off. If this will annoy you then do try and keep them hidden somehow (no idea how!) I often turn on the TV to find it tuned to some dodgy sky channel (usually bid up TV for some reason - I wonder what they are hoping to buy???)

Legacy Thu 31-Jul-08 10:14:42

Oh yes - I'd forgotten about needing to move the video/ remotes etc - DS used to do that too...
Thanks for these!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now