Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can your 2 or 3 year old ?

(29 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 21:48:39

The little boy I childmind is 2.5 years

He has huge vocab, have been able to have long conversations with him for months.

sings every single nursery rhyme I can think of, word perfect

can spell his name XXX

remembers driving routes ie comments if we drive a different way to somewhere

remembers where he saw a fire engine parked several months ago.

Is he bright or just like most other 2.5 year old child?

Twiglett Wed 09-Feb-05 21:50:55

sounds very bright .. but I'd say only the driving routes and the vocabulary are the signs

the rest of it could be that's what the parents teach him by wrote .. the nursery rhymes and spelling

and as for the memory of where things are parked .. kids have phenomenal memories

WigWamBam Wed 09-Feb-05 21:51:52

When my dd was 2.5 she could do all of those things except spell her own name. I don't know whether it's bright or not, but spelling his own name is pretty impressive!

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 21:52:45

My DD is 2y 10m and sounds very similar to the little boy you CM.

Although she can't spell her name yet. She does recognise 4 of the 5 letters (independent of her name) and does recognise her name when written down.

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:00:32

I have keep reminding myself that he is only 2.5

He never seems to not know a word, he never stops talking and chatting about anything and everything.

He knows all the Thomas engines

we were playing memory match game on thomas website and he could do that too.

it turns over the cards and you match the pairs etc.

I just didn't really know whether other children were the same.

Both his mum and I think he is bright.

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:01:06

his name only has 3 letters btw.

popsycal Wed 09-Feb-05 22:02:55

ds is 2.5 just - only just gathering a huge vocab but can do the rest....didn't think he was especially bright just DS!

popsycal Wed 09-Feb-05 22:03:37

plays the 'memory' gamre thing too,....

but this is just his 'thing' - there are plenty of things that he can;t do!

popsycal Wed 09-Feb-05 22:03:52

ds's name is only 3 letters....

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:07:07

oke doke perhaps he is just like others

Her baby group don't have nearly as much language

I know they are all different but just wondered

Thanks guys

Fran1 Wed 09-Feb-05 22:19:23

I think it is probably top development wise.

My dd is 2 and she can spell her name out when she has pen and paper in her hand (so its a memory thing cos i often write her name for her) Cannot do it at other times.

And there are certain landmarks on routes we take on a regular basis which tell her where we are going and she shouts with glee e.g yay going to Nanny's when she recognises the duck pond. And the other day i was amazed when i took a different turn and she whined "pre-school" cos she'd realised we weren't going there, she'd only been twice before anyway!

The little cherubs are all bright in their own way. And i think its down to what we do with them and they then "store" in their memory.

One day my dd can tell me all the colours of her pens, and another she'll get them all muddled up. I'm sure this depends on how recently i have told her the colours names ifyswim.

I think it is just fascinating watching them develop and how they learn new things constantly.

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:22:13

Yes I agree they are wonderful

I call them like little sponges

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:26:44

It does sometimes amaze me the things DD knows and rememebrs. I suspect she picks a lot up at nursery as well, as I am sure I don't do it that much. But she does like pretending to work at the moment. LOL! Quite funny to watch her leant over her desk tracing letters and numbers (I use that dotty font for her) and shapes. She talks to imaginery children and/or dollies - as if she is at nursery and she is the teacher! Very funny to watch and listen.

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:47:44

He likes to pretend he is going to school like my DS

I love the pretend games he plays with me

like making me lunch with the kitchen and play food,

Building railway systems and pretending who the passengers will be and where he thinks they are going and what they are going to do there.

He knows his colours too.

He loves playing with DS before school {DS is 9 years}

Toddlers are just such fun aren't they

They are just balls of energy and enthusiasm and immagination.

It is one of my favourite ages

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:50:15

It is fab Really enjoying DD being this age - although it has it's challenging times too! DH loves it too and probably much more so than when she was a baby - as she interacts with him so much now. She made him doubly proud this weekend - she has a toy rugby ball and when she threw it, apparantly she did is properly! He is easily pleased!!!

Gwenick Wed 09-Feb-05 22:53:15

LOL Hula - it's funny you should say that about Rugby. During the rugby at the weekend DH progressed from teaching DS1 (4yrs) how to do 'fast' catches - to the basics of catching the ball while running - had him running round the room in a big circle taking the ball of him as he ran past.......

RTKangaMummy Wed 09-Feb-05 22:54:38

Brill

popsycal Thu 10-Feb-05 09:59:55

I was thinking about this during the night when i was awake.

I think they all have their own 'thing' - DS's 'thing' is memory stuff and spatial stuff. But he has only just learned how to jump, isnt fantastically coordinated. Reminded myself that we tend to do lots of the stuff that he is good at and need to 'help' him with the things that he finds tricky more often!

It is such a lovely age!

pixel Thu 10-Feb-05 11:35:57

popsycal, I think you are right. Although my dd was a fluent reader at 3.5, she didn't learn to write until she went to school. Even now, age 8, she is behind her peers on things like drawing, and has never been very good at the physical stuff. Although we do encourage her, take her swimming/horseriding etc it is just not her 'thing'. She is great at spelling, maths, science and a computer whizz (good memory too!) but we have come to accept that the chances of her learning to ride her bike anytime in the near future are pretty slim!

secur Thu 10-Feb-05 11:38:03

Message withdrawn

KBear Thu 10-Feb-05 11:41:48

I love being amazed by children's memories. Things I have forgotten they remember and mention all the time.

My DD just turned 6 and reminded me that when she was 3 I promised her riding lessons when she was 6. Oh shhhhh....! Hope she doesn't remember that I once promised her a hamster but she had to be 9. I just pick random ages to be allowed to do things! Currently ear piercing is age 27.

Furball Thu 10-Feb-05 12:24:40

I do find it absolutely astonishing what they can do at such an early age. My ds at 2 could read all the letters of the alphabet, capitals and small letters and he could regonise any car badge. At 3 he wrote his name.

popsycal Thu 10-Feb-05 12:25:11

Kiddies are amazing aren;t they

Gobbledigook Thu 10-Feb-05 12:27:06

Not read the other posts but I'd say he's definitely bright but probably not exceptional.

My ds probably couldn't spell his name at 2.5 but definitely used to know driving routes and tell me I was going the wrong way and has always had an astonishing memory for things from quite a while ago.

Gwenick Thu 10-Feb-05 12:27:58

ooo cars - my DS1's passion. When he started nursery in september he was 'encouraged' to do a painting (he eventually did a 'symbolic' fire engine) but was more interested in the newspaper covering the easel..........turned round and told the nursery teacher "look it's says Ford Fiesta"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now