Talk

Advanced search

Newborn won't sleep in her moses basket, please help!

(16 Posts)
aiti72 Wed 30-Jul-08 18:34:24

OK, I've made the big mistake and taken our newborn to sleep next to me in bedblush, it's just that she was born three weeks early and I wanted to have her as close as possible in those early days. She's three weeks old now and boy does she already know what she wants, she won't settle next to me in her moses basket and this tired mummy picks her up to get some sleep herselfblush. What would you do, she's still very tiny, but have I spoiled everything now that I've managed to teach her wrong sleep associations? DD1 was so easy, slept in her own cot from birth and in her own room from five months. I'm panicking here, any advice welcome!

ExterminAitch Wed 30-Jul-08 18:35:57

can you put the moses basket in the bed? is it a tremendous problem to co-sleep for the next while?

amidaiwish Wed 30-Jul-08 18:37:56

DD2 was like this, i never really got her into her moses basket unlike with DD1.
Can you not give in to her, keep her in bed with you? Are you bf? tbh i would do whatever you need to do to get some sleep yourself at this stage. Plenty of time later for trying to get her down on her own. DD2 did it naturally at about 4 months when i wasn't bf so much in the evening/night.

kittywise Wed 30-Jul-08 18:41:42

Of course she wants to sleep with you. Look at it from her pov; All she's ever known is being close to you, your smell, heart beat, voice and movements etc.
When she is with you she feels safe and secure. When you're not there she feels scared and alone.
She is such a new baby.
I've co slept with all 6 of mine ( not all at the same time I hasten to add!) and have had no probs getting them into their own rooms by 5 months usually earlier.

ellideb Wed 30-Jul-08 18:46:40

Have you tried one of these

MsDemeanor Wed 30-Jul-08 18:48:03

You've not NOTHING wrong! You are just responding to your baby's needs. Don't panic! She won't be in bed with you forever.

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 30-Jul-08 19:44:41

What ExterminAitch said - put the moses basket in the bed? I did this with DS2, worked fine, he graduated to it being on the stand and then into the cot next to the bed. Tbh, though, I miss having him in bed with me, it was lovely. DH not mad keen after the first few weeks, though sad

I very much doubt that "wrong" sleep associations can have been learnt in a newborn...

You have NOT taught her the wrong sleep associations! My goodness these "gurus" and "rod-for-your-own-back" types have a lot to answer for angry

She's 3 weeks old. kittywise speaks the truth. Go with the flow (safely - make yourself aware of safe co-sleeping guidelines). It will work itself out.

Especially with two kids, do whatever you need to do to get all of you some decent rest. It's not "giving in", it's meeting her needs.

Guadalupe Wed 30-Jul-08 19:50:26

It may not be the way you did it with your dd1 but every time is different and maybe this is best for your dd2.

Sleeping together is very convenient and can be a really special time. It doesn't work for everyone but if it is working for you then that's great and it doesn't last forever.

cookiemonstress Wed 30-Jul-08 20:29:05

those snuggle nest things look brilliant.. almost tempts me to have another!

crokky Wed 30-Jul-08 20:31:33

aiti72 - children are all different. My DS sounds like your newborn and he is still in our bed aged 2. DD on the other hand is in her cot, she is a different baby. I would only do something about it if it is bothering you.

ellideb Wed 30-Jul-08 20:32:28

the baby looks so cute doesn't he?, i'd have bought one myself if I hadn't of already got a moses basket. who knows, I may get the same probs as the OP and will need to buy one!

Psychobabble Wed 30-Jul-08 20:33:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zwiggy Wed 30-Jul-08 20:35:28

does she sleep in her moses during the day. 3 weeks is tiny she's just getting used to it all. There's nothing wrong with letting hrer sleep in your bed. She needs you. My ds is not a great sleeper. all babies are different, but just respond to her needs and she will feel secure. She won't still be there at 18 don't worry

misdee Wed 30-Jul-08 20:36:02

try putting the pillow case from your bed over the mattress in the moses basket.

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 20:36:06

Babies dpon't have wants at this age - only needs. She needs to be close to you, let her, it will be far easier, golly who has been telling you all this guff about 'wrong sleep associations'? shock

Ignore, ignore, ignore!! smile

...and enjoy. It is something blissful having your little one with you at night. For you and her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now