Talk

Advanced search

Potty training since oct 07 - advise please!!!

(15 Posts)
petite70 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:38:08

This is my first time on the forum and i would welcome any advice. I started to potty train my 4th boy last october at 21 months old - the same age as my other 3, he is dry at night time but is being a nightmare during the day - sometimes he will ask me for a wee and can take his pants and trousers up and down no problem, but more often than not he just wee's and doesn't ask i can leave him in wet pants all day and he doesnt bother - i have tried everything - reducing juice, being calm, shouting and smacking!! nothing is working and i am getting through lots of washing and its driving me mad - has anyone got any tips for me please - i would REALLY appreciate it!
thank you

christywhisty Tue 29-Jul-08 22:46:16

21 months was very young, my son wasn't ready for another year and then it was all over and done with very quickly. Put him back in nappies for a month or so and relax and then start again when he is ready.

DontNeedAnything Tue 29-Jul-08 22:49:35

Stop potty training. Start again in 3-6m IMO. He doesn't sound ready and 21m was very young to start.

When you do start have him botomless for 1 week. Make sure he is dry/clean without pants/trousers

Week2 - put pants on him. Expect a couple of accidents. Once you care confident move on

Week 3(or4) put shorts on him. When he is used to this then put him in trousers.

HTH

DontNeedAnything Tue 29-Jul-08 22:51:35

<He probably doens't have control of his bladder if he ask sometimes but not others. All children are different, which is why he may be older than your other children before he is dry.

Also please don't reduce his drink intake - it actually shrinks the capacity of the bladder and can actually cause more accidents - especially when you try and train him overnight>

busymum1 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:51:54

he obviously isn't ready I know a cm who has had this for a year with child she cares for, parents will not accept her view but I agree with her it maybe his self esteem is damaged so putting him back in nappies for 6 weeks would regain his confidence and if he started afresh would be drier quicker than staying as is. Another friend of mine has 3yr old twins one is trained and was very quickly ready the other is not ready so is still in nappies

MatNanPlus Tue 29-Jul-08 22:52:28

So he was 21 months last Oct and at 30 months now is not fussed to be dry in the day but is at night?

petite70 Tue 29-Jul-08 23:18:41

Thanks for all your advice - appreciate it - rather than nappies do you think pull up would be ok? And yes MatNanPlus he is dry at night and not fussed to be dry in the day - how odd is that i don't understand it !!!

christywhisty Tue 29-Jul-08 23:28:40

my son was dry at night before he was dry during the day. We realised he was filling his nappy first thing in the morning.

mum2ds1 Tue 29-Jul-08 23:33:34

i personally would start again from scratch my ds was 29 months when we started and we gave him stickers everytime he did a wee or poo on the potty but it took longer at night. it sounds like your ds has got bladder controll otherwise i dont think he would be dry at night.
i would start agian try to keep calm and lots and lots of praise i know you are probably doing this already.
good luck and im sure your ds will be dry real soon.

MatNanPlus Wed 30-Jul-08 11:49:49

He is less distracted at night try a reward system for clean/dry pants and for use of potty/toilet. It will happen.

TheCrackFox Wed 30-Jul-08 12:59:17

I would stop potty training for a couple of months. Some boys are jsut not ready until they are 3yrs old. I started potty training my 2 boys at 3 years and it took a couple of days to get the hang of it and they never had any accidents.

DontNeedAnything Wed 30-Jul-08 16:43:31

No I wouldn't use pull ups. Easy-Up nappies maybe but not training pants

I personally think it makes potty training harder as he learns that weeing in them isn't the end of the world.

Blandmum Wed 30-Jul-08 16:45:36

21 months is very young. I waited until both mine were three. DD was done in two weeks, ds was done in a week.

Stop and wait and restart, say next easter if it is warm and dry enough for him to run round the garden with no nappy on

swiftyknickers Wed 30-Jul-08 16:47:35

tooooo young-DS was 2.5 years and was done in a week also-put him back in nappies, chill out and wait till he's ready

Mercy Wed 30-Jul-08 16:50:53

I trained ds at around 3.4, like MB's ds he got it in a week. He's only wet himself about 4 times in the year since (still not dry at night though!)

I'd stop for now tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now