Talk

Advanced search

Is letter formation REALLY important? Please give me some tips to help DS with his written work.

(12 Posts)
PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 19:55:30

DS (6.5) is really struggling with written work. I think part of the problem is that he doesn't form his letters correctly, but I forgot to ask his teacher before the end of term whether I'm correct about this.

Part of his summer project is to keep a holiday journal. It's taking him about 10 minutes just to write the date (and I am getting so pissed off with it tbh).

His end of year report said that his written work needed to improve for year 2, and I want to be able to help him with this.

Any suggestions? And am I right about letter formation being important?

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 20:00:18

It is because if he is doing it awkwardly or not the same each time it won't feel right or flow. Try using a sloping surface with a slightly soft feel so his arm isn't overstressed and sit him so his feet are on the floor and he is at a comfortable height. Also check his grip and maybe buy a pencil grip. If you want a programme to follow try Write Start.

PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 20:08:04

Thank you Lizs. I'll google Write Start.

He sits at the dining table to do writing and his feet are off the floor, so I'll clear off the desk in his room and sit him in there instead from now on. I'll try and create some sort of sloping thing for him to write against as well, unless you can buy them (anyone??).

His grip is better than it was, but he holds the pencil really tightly so his flow isn't great. I might try him with a felt tip pen with a pencil grip round it to see if I can help him take some of the pressure off the paper.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 20:13:16

ah tight grip may not help , it tenses the wrist and arm. You can buy slopes but they are quiet pricey , fil made ds'. Try the slope of an A4 file(supported by paper inside) and see if it helps. A softer B pencil may be easier too. Has he ever been observed by an OT ?

PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 20:18:49

No, not an OT. He's on the autistic spectrum and was seen by an educational something or other (can't think at the moment) in his reception year.

I'll try the B pencil for him.

His fine motor skills appear to be very delayed watching him write, but give him a stylus and a DS Lite and he's absolutely fine. I've even been looking for learning to write software for the DS today, though I suspect that wouldn't solve the problem of getting him to sit and concentrate on something that he thinks is dull.

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 20:22:23

Wonder if he has some dyspraxic traits then ? Might be worth asking for an assessment at least , some very simple adjustments to posture and core strength can make a difference.

Blandmum Tue 29-Jul-08 20:23:22

Write from the start.

You can buy it on Amazon

PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 20:23:41

Is this the Write Start product that you meant? Or this looks good actually. These are quite reasonable as well.

Blandmum Tue 29-Jul-08 20:24:55

The thing you need (as recomended by the ed psych who diagnosed ds with dyspraxia) is 'write from the start'

LIZS Tue 29-Jul-08 20:25:47

ah it's the one MB describes but that slope is what ds' is based on .

PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 20:25:52

Yes, I have wondered if he also has dyspraxia. He's always falling over and is generally quite poor at anything physical.

Thanks MB. I'll look that one up too.

PrimroseHall Tue 29-Jul-08 20:27:15

Ed psych, that's the term I was looking for earlier MB - thanks. Off to Amazon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now